Concrete beams vs. Wooden Beams for rails?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Norousto
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Concrete beams vs. Wooden Beams for rails?

Post by Norousto »

Wood is becoming very outdated even in our society and most of the world. Wooden beams are being replaced throughout the world with concrete beams.

Why do I have to clear a forest (pre-robots) just to build rails?

Perhaps add in a second research for upgraded rails requiring concrete. Not replace the current ones because concrete is a little rough but have it an option at least for your rails.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Concrete beams vs. Wooden Beams for rails?

Post by valneq »

The current recipe for rails in vanilla Factorio 0.17 has three ingredients: iron sticks, steel plates, and stone. See its description in the wiki here.
Which recipe for rails are you referring to? Why does it contain wood? Does that come from a mod?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Bio Industries has wooden rails -- but it also has a recipe requiring stone to update them to normal rails.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I think last time I tried bioindustries ~7 months ago it required concrete for the normal rails … not sure when/whether they changed the recipe, or whether there was yet another mod interfering at the time.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

valneq wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:54 pm
I think last time I tried bioindustries ~7 months ago it required concrete for the normal rails …
You're right: BI changes the recipe for vanilla rails, so it provides 3 rail recipes (not considering those for rail bridges and powered rails):
  • Normal rails (modified): Crushed stone, steel plates, iron sticks, concrete
  • Wooden rails: Wood, crushed stone, steel plates, iron sticks
  • Upgrade wooden to normal rails: Wooden rails, stone bricks
So, it would seem that Norousto doesn't use BI after all. Wonder what mod changes the recipe to just wood then …
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”