Allow arranging of shortcuts by dragging

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Allow arranging of shortcuts by dragging

Post by Jon8RFC »

TL;DR
Shortcuts can't be arranged in an intuitive manner, and dragging the actual shortcuts within the UI would work far better.
Since item shortcuts are called a quickbar and not a shortcut, don't confuse those shortcuts...with shortcuts. The video shows which shortcuts I'm talking about.
What ?
https://youtu.be/qe-EBXQpkwg
That's how it works, but being able to drag the actual squares to where I'd like them to go would be much faster and easier.
Why ?
It's not an intuitive or user-friendly system.

Being able to just drag the shortcut squares around would likely still displace other shortcuts in an alternating row manner like the current system, unless that was also adjusted. However, being able to correct that by drag and drop would be much easier.

With the current functionality for arranging shortcuts, it consists of:
  • Looking for a description within a list (whose list order doesn't intuitively reflect the UI arrangement to begin with)
  • Moving that description, by slow trial and error until it's in the right spot
  • Looking for the newly displaced shortcut's description in the list
  • Moving that other description, by slow trial and error until it's in the right spot
  • Etc, etc
  • The list is displayed as desired...until you have a new shortcut or change the number of rows.
For people who have more shortcuts, more rows, and more columns, I don't think that the current system would become any easier.

For the same reason having a separate list for a trainstop route to adjust the trainstop UI wouldn't work well, I don't think this works well. It's great that they can be arranged, but the method of arrangement isn't as good as it could be.

If that can't be done, at least changing the movements with respect to the list order to be like the majority of written languages would be easier.
NEW:
Hello
World

VS CURRENT:
Hlool
elWrd

Don't dead, open inside!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Allow arranging of shortcuts by dragging

Post by Koub »

This may be related (if those shortcuts are considered to be a "widget") :
viewtopic.php?p=452726#p452726
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”