Game modes/setup: recipe list multiplier

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

turgwath
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Game modes/setup: recipe list multiplier

Post by turgwath »

Hello fellow factorians,

Keeping in mind that some players love huge factories, I would like to propose a new config in setup screen before the game begins: the recipe item list multiplier.

The standard value is obviously 1, but if we set to 2 it would doble the resource ammount for every item, meaning a tier 3 speed module would need an incredibly large ammount of resources (it increases exponentially).

I know we can simply edit the file with notepad to change the recipe, but I think this suggestion is very easy to implement and would create a new style of play, with epic words, lots of trains and thoughts about logistics, huge planning and expansions dedicated to a single production like green circuit, that would need to be handles by trains too.

As this is, as I said, exponential, I suggest the setting to be 1 to 3 or 1 to 5.

Thank you for your time and please comment about this idea!

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Game modes/setup: recipe list multiplier

Post by Nova »

Even a value of 2 would cause a huge raise in needed amounts.

For example the speed module 3:
You now need 10 advanced circuits, 10 processing units, 8 speed modules 2 and 2 alien artifacts.

Every speed module 2 needs:
10 advanced circuits, 10 processing units, 8 speed module 1.

Every speed module 1 needs:
10 electronic circuits, 10 advanced circuits.

10 advanced circuits * 8 (module 1 for 2) * 8 (module 2 for 3) + 10 * 8 (module 2 to 3) + 10 (of the module 3) = 730 advanced circuits
10 * 8 * 8 = 640 electronic circuits. (because only the first module tier needs them.)
10*8+10 = 90 processing units. (Only the last two module tiers need them.)

90 processing units = 3600 electronic circuits, 360 advanced circuits. (I ignore the sulfuric acid)

730 + 360 advanced circuits = 4360 electronic circuits, 4360 plastic bars, 8720 copper cables.

4360 + 3600 + 640 electronic circuits = 17200 iron plates + 51600 copper cables.

51600 + 8720 copper cables = 60320 copper plates.

All in all you need (if there's no error) 60320 copper plates, 17200 iron plates and 4360 plastic bars. Oh, and 2 alien artifacts.

If you have 100 electric mining drills, you need 20 minutes just for one speed module 3 - and that with a factor of 2. Now think about a factor of 3 or even more.

I think that could be done, but I would say only some recipes get changed, and especially the amount of science packs should be raised then. Like the game speed setting in the Civilization games.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Having more options would not be a bad idea:

- time modifiers
- forbid certain items/reseach alltogether.

turgwath
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by turgwath »

Garm wrote:Having more options would not be a bad idea:

- time modifiers
- forbid certain items/reseach alltogether.
I would like the idea to modify science packs needed for a research. Like increasing ONLY the needed packs with the multiplier too. That would go from 1 to 10, for example.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”