Pumps should have an option to not propagate fluid type

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Pumps should have an option to not propagate fluid type

Post by mrvn »

TL;DR
It should be possible to connect pumps with different fluids on the input side to a common pipe.
What ?
Per default pumps should behave like now. Whatever fluid type is on the input is also locked in at the output and vice versa.

But the pump GUI should have an option to disable that mechanism. The input and output sides of the pump should become independent. The pump would then only work if the output side has the same fluid type as the input side or no type.

I would suggest "[ ] Relax fluid restriction" as GUI option.
Why ?
Currently it is impossible to sort a fluid into storage tanks each holding a different fluid. A use case for this would be to remove left over fluids at the LTN Depot and return it to the factory. Any fluid can remain in the fluid wagons that return to the Depot due to a mistake configuring the LTN stations (as frequently happens when you start using LTN). It would be nice if one could pump the fluid out of the train and then sort it using a series of tanks each with 2 pumps set to X > 0 and X = 0.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Pumps should have an option to not propagate fluid type

Post by foamy »

I'd like this, yes. Give me valve options!

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

Definitely support, I've been thinking about making a simple valve mod.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I won’t do that, cause when playing correctly, there is no leftover. Instead I would prefer a dispenser (or similar) to get rid of leftovers. Like a garbage-chest, but for fluids.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:29 pm
Hm. I won’t do that, cause when playing correctly, there is no leftover. Instead I would prefer a dispenser (or similar) to get rid of leftovers. Like a garbage-chest, but for fluids.
Two problems with that:

1) They usually have some kind of recipe: 10 <any fluid in the game> -> void. But if there are only 3.2 fluid left the garbage-chest just sits there waiting for more.

2) You spend 6 hours building your factory and producing a train full of fluorhexadimetahydrosulfidechromocarbon fluid but screwed up the LTN stop and it returns to the depot. Now you want to throw all that fluid into a garbage-chest? Are you insane?

I don't want this for left overs but for routing mistakes.

Plus it would be real cool to build a factory that pumps around multiple fluids through a single pipes in batches of tanks. Just because you can. :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”