Suggestion for the tutorials, using 'Basic trains & rail building' as an example.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MyNameIsTrez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Suggestion for the tutorials, using 'Basic trains & rail building' as an example.

Post by MyNameIsTrez »

On the 'Basic trains & rail building' tutorial, one of the objectives is to 'Build curved rail using the rail planner.'

I got stuck on this part for a minute or two before figuring out that you're supposed to build 4 curved rails in total.
The objective images showing how to build curved rails don't hint that you need to build more than one curved rail at all.
This is to blame on me for not reading the subheader properly obviously. I probably subconsciously thought that '0/4' stood for the number of objectives completed in this entire tutorial, not how much progress I made in this objective, so I think it's not completely my fault for not reading the description properly.

Conclusion:
My suggestion is to play a sound, and/or highlight the 'n/4' part on the objective each time the user makes progress on placing the four curved rails objective. Maybe also append 'Step', 'Part' or something else in front of the '0/4' to make clear it doesn't indicate the number of objectives completed in the entire tutorial.
This could also be implemented for other tutorials and objectives. I think notifying the player when a part of the objective is done will make most tutorials more intuitive! :)

jezaus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Suggestion for the tutorials, using 'Basic trains & rail building' as an example.

Post by jezaus »

Nearly a year later I too was bamboozled - I interpreted this the exact same way you described. :D

Without your explanation I was destined to spend another hour trying to figure it out and honestly I'm not sure I would have ever interpreted it that way. :shock:

Huge thank you and kudos for this post. :lol:

Factorio - a day or 2 in... SUPERB game! :mrgreen:

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”