Minecraft "Pick Up" like button

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

natheraf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Minecraft "Pick Up" like button

Post by natheraf »

I like the new update, takes a bit to get used to, but I have a suggestion.

We need a "Pick Up" like button similar to the one in Minecraft. This button in Factorio would take the structure you are hovering-over using your mouse and would take it from your inventory and place it in the next empty slot in your inventory, and selects it (you are now able to place down the structure you used the button on, as an example). As an example, if you hover over the Fast inserter that is placed down, and you have 38 in your inventory, pressing the button will bring the 38 from your inventory and place it into the hot bar, and then selects it, therefore, you are now able to start placing them down.

An important thing to note is this will work even though there are no empty slots in your hot bar. If the hot bar is full, then it will replace the currently selected item. If the currently selected slot (slot 8) is empty, and there is an empty slot (slot 3) before the selected slot (slot 8) then it would place the item in the slot selected even though there's an empty slot before the selected slot.

There's probably a ton of things that need to be said, but the devs are smart. They can probably think of different caveats to address a lot better than I can. That being said, please make this a feature. Thanks for reading.

P.S. This said button should be the scroll wheel, in other words, the middle click button. I don't know if that's a good idea, that's just the default button for Minecraft. The devs can figure this one out.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Minecraft "Pick Up" like button

Post by boskid »

You mean Pipette tool, that by default is under "Q"? Already exists.

Only difference to what you described is it will not put shortcut in toolbar, you have to do it by yourself.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Keyboard_shortcuts wrote:Pipette tool (Q) is used to quickly put an item in hand without searching through the inventory (similar to a "color picker" or "eyedropper" tool in a graphics program). Simply hover over an entity and press the keyboard binding. If the player's inventory contains that item, it will be placed in the cursor. This keyboard binding is also used for putting a held item away.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”