Add concrete to Upgrade Planner

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

hale42
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Add flooring options to upgrade planner

Post by hale42 »

any water->landfill
any non-concrete/stone path/refined concrete->concrete

the landfill alone would be great. right now my fix is download a mod to place water->make a 110x110 lake fill it in then place what i need to place on top of it. I would rather just tell the game to auto landfill or something

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Using the plain old blueprint for mass placing flooring or landfill should be much more easy with the awaited place from map feature.
Probably even easier than OP’s suggestion of using the upgrade planner.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:41 am
Generally a good idea. How should that work?
I mean: when you want to upgrade ground to concrete, how should the interface look like?

Some hints: there are many types of ground. Should this just be “any” ground, or do you want to differ between types like “sand”, “landfill”...
I wasn't thinking of ground specifically, any more than you can use the upgrade planner to do the initial placement of anything else. I was thinking of, specifically, changing between the various kinds of placeable flooring: brick, concrete, hazard concrete, refined concrete, and refined hazard concrete. The UI would therefore be, well, basically exactly the same as it is for anything else in the upgrade planner: Select the kind of entity you want to replace, then choose what you want to replace it with, then click and drag over the map.
conn11 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:36 pm
Using the plain old blueprint for mass placing flooring or landfill should be much more easy with the awaited place from map feature.
Probably even easier than OP’s suggestion of using the upgrade planner.
For initial placing, maybe. But for, e.g., a bulk upgrade of concrete to refined concrete, particularly whilst preserving hazard markings? I don't think so.

cansteam
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Stone brick, concrete, and refined concrete in upgrade planner

Post by cansteam »

TL;DR
Allow the built tiles to be put in the upgrade planner's filters so you can upgrade them remotely.
What ?
This image (that I spent a little too much time photoshopping) explains it pretty clearly.

Why ?
Same reason you use the upgrade planner for inserters and assembly machines. Long range replacement of tiles. Clearly not as important, and doesn't necessarily make as sense as everything else in the upgrade planner, but it would still serve a purpose.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

cansteam
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Make upgrade planner work on paths (e.g. brick)

Post by cansteam »

Sorry didn't know there was already a thread for this!

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Allow tiles to be upgraded with the upgrade planner.

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

^^^
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Add concrete to Upgrade Planner

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged several topics with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

atlas_aces
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Include Tiles in Upgrade Planner

Post by atlas_aces »

TL;DR
The upgrade planner should allow you to upgrade tiles, e.g. from stone bricks to concrete.
Why?
When I research concrete and refined concrete I like to replace all of the old tiles (stone bricks or concrete) with the newer, better tiles.
This would easily be done with the upgrade planner.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Include Tiles in Upgrade Planner

Post by ssilk »

How do you want to select the tiles that are below other entities? How do you want to exclude them from being upgraded? Or not upgraded? What makes
stone brick better for all kind of vehicles?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[Ick] Merged with older post.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

ssilk wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:04 am
How do you want to select the tiles that are below other entities? How do you want to exclude them from being upgraded? Or not upgraded? What makes
This objection applies equally to all upgrades. If you don't want an upgrade applied to a particular tile, don't drag the upgrade planner over it. In fact, it applies with less force to the brick to concrete upgrade than to just about anything else, since concrete is not only unambiguously better than brick, it is cheaper as well! There is never any real reason not to want it done.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Khagan wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:05 am
ssilk wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:04 am
This objection applies equally to all upgrades. If you don't want an upgrade applied to a particular tile, don't drag the upgrade planner over it. In fact, it applies with less force to the brick to concrete upgrade than to just about anything else, since concrete is not only unambiguously better than brick, it is cheaper as well! There is never any real reason not to want it done.
And supporting items in the planner doesn't even mean the planner does it by default, just that the user can select them. Modules are handled that way currently - by default it does nothing, but you can select them manually and upgrade them that way. Same could be done with tiles to avoid unwanted upgrades when updating other things in the area.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

This could also allow upgrading non-path tiles with path tiles.

You could select water as source, wood as goal and then drag the upgrade planner over a bit of land with lakes. The lakes would get wooden pathways over it as bridges (assuming you have a mod that allows wooden paths on water to make a bridge).

For this it would help to have some meta tiles. Like one for all the grass types, one for dirt, sand, water. I would suggest adding a group/subgroup to the tile type to make these meta tiles. This grouping would also help sorting the tile types better in the editor GUI.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

+1

Noticed it wasn't a feature, but it seems like a natural feature to the upgrade planner. Not a huge issue for me personally, but still.

(On a side note, I wonder if the reason it's not been implemented just has to do with tiles? Seeing as how tiles tend to be dealt with differently in the planners, category-wise.)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”