Allow setting higher inserter stack capacity override without research done

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Uuugggg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Allow setting higher inserter stack capacity override without research done

Post by Uuugggg »

This has got to be one of the more obscure things to consider...

So, I think the inserter stack size override should be allowed to be SET to whatever value you want. Right now the GUI also doesn't allow you set higher than teh current research. Of course, the actual stacksize that the inserter picks up will be the lesser of the requested value and the research level. But why can't I set the stack value to 10 to plan ahead for later research?

I ran into this problem with blueprints - when you place a blueprint with an inserter with the stack size override set, but you're placing it in a world without that capacity researched, it will set the stack size override to the best it can do at the time. It stays at that value, so once you research higher inserter capacity bonus, those inserters are still set to less than what you wanted from the blueprint.

leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Allow setting higher inserter stack capacity override without research done

Post by leitk »

Also, it would be nice if you could set the stack size override to 1 even before you research any upgrades. Therefore when you research the upgrade it will remain 1.

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

Wholeheartedly agree with both of those suggestions. Pain when you have to do something like that for a blueprint to function they way you want, just to forget to do it and wonder why things aren't working they way you designed them to.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

The only argument against this I can imagine is, it'd mean clamping to the researched maximum capacity every pickup, but the doc says it already does that. If a blueprint wants stack size 7 and you're not there yet on research, I don't see any value in discarding the blueprinted override. What counts as a puzzle and what counts as an impediment gets kinda contentious at times, but is there anybody who thinks preventing setting a not-yet-reached stack size override is better than remembering it and applying when it becomes meaningful?

By the way, why is inserter stack size bonus a double and stack inserter capacity bonus a uint?

inserter_stack_size_bonus :: double [RW] The inserter stack size bonus for non stack inserters
stack_inserter_capacity_bonus :: uint [RW] Number of items that can be transferred by stack inserters.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

+1
Being unable to use stack capacity from blueprints before having researched the equal capacity level is an annoying error source.
I've started to use a constant combinator feeding a capacity signal instead to circumvent this.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

quyxkh wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:28 am
The only argument against this I can imagine is, it'd mean clamping to the researched maximum capacity every pickup, but the doc says it already does that. If a blueprint wants stack size 7 and you're not there yet on research, I don't see any value in discarding the blueprinted override. What counts as a puzzle and what counts as an impediment gets kinda contentious at times, but is there anybody who thinks preventing setting a not-yet-reached stack size override is better than remembering it and applying when it becomes meaningful?
Does it actually discard it? I thought when you blueprint the stack override is set unchecked. You just can't set it in the GUI. Anyone able to try real quick?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:26 pm
quyxkh wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:28 am
Does it actually discard it? I thought when you blueprint the stack override is set unchecked. You just can't set it in the GUI. Anyone able to try real quick?
If a blueprint sets override stack size = 10 and you paste it without any techs it will set the inserter to override = 1.
Though you can only see the complete gui once you research higher stack sizes.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Yeah. Just rename it "stack size limit" and allow setting it arbitrarily from blueprints, 0..whatever, 255?, or from the GUI once any capacity upgrades have been researched.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

quyxkh wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:54 pm
Yeah. Just rename it "stack size limit" and allow setting it arbitrarily from blueprints, 0..whatever, 255?, or from the GUI once any capacity upgrades have been researched.
Yeah. Maybe with a note about the current available stack size.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Still waiting on this suggestion. It's breaking blueprints left and right.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

+1
Without this, there is a strange dependency between blueprints and research.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”