Better train management.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

kaiflife
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Better train management.

Post by kaiflife »

Here are a some ideas on how to make train management better.
1. Bind the train on quickbar.
I have many trains that I use manually. Mostly construction trains that bring me materials.
And I would like to bind them on quickbar, so that after clicking on them in the quickbar, they opening and I can direct them without searching for them on the map or train menu.
2. Editing the initial settings that are set by default when choosing a destination.
Every time I select a destination, I have to change the sending conditions. And in most cases I delete "passed" and choose "inactivity".
3. The train cannot automatically depart if the wagon inventory is opened by player.
Well, this rarely happens because I choose a condition that does not allow the train to leave without my consent, but it would be convenient.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Better train management.

Post by Amarula »

Here is what I am using to quickly summon trains containing construction materials:
1. Each construction train has its own home base where it loads up with materials, called for instance Acme Home. The criteria for leaving this home station includes inactivity (so I can see if it is finished reloading) and a condition that will never be met, for instance passenger present (so it stays home until I call it).
2. I have a blueprint that drops down a train stop named for instance Acme. This stop is set as the second stop for each construction train. The criteria for leaving this station is again a condition that is not met (so it stays at the Acme stop until I am done with it).
3. The blueprint is on my quickbar. When I need a train, I drop down the blueprint, open the train stop, select which construction train I need, and tell that train to come to the Acme stop.
4. Insert picture of truck labelled Acme Manufacturing Company delivering a large box to Wile E. Coyote here. 8-)
5. When I am done with the train, I send it home, and pick up the Acme stop.

Advantages:
1. The Acme blueprint is on my quickbar, right there whenever I need it.
2. Train controls are set once, when I create a new construction train (I have four so far). I never have to change the controls when I am using the train.
3. I don't have to search for a train in a list of hundreds of others; the Acme stop only shows me the trains that are set to use that station, so I only see those four trains to choose from.

Disadvantage:
1. Forgetting to pick up the Acme stop when I am finished, so the next time I go to use it, the train does not always come to where I am now. :roll:
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

kaiflife
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kaiflife »

Amarula wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:45 pm
2. I have a blueprint that drops down a train stop named for instance Acme. This stop is set as the second stop for each construction train. The criteria for leaving this station is again a condition that is not met (so it stays at the Acme stop until I am done with it).
3. The blueprint is on my quickbar. When I need a train, I drop down the blueprint, open the train stop, select which construction train I need, and tell that train to come to the Acme stop.
Thanks friend, thats pretty handy. I still dreaming about "inactivity" by default. But most of the routine problems a resolved.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

You are most welcome. I want to be clear, I can't take credit for the idea.
Thank you again to @Zavian who shared the inspiration for this idea...
Zavian wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Hey. It wasn't even my idea originally. I started doing that after watching a streamer do something similar on youtube. Probably Xterminator or KatherineOfSky.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Yep many thanks to Xterminator and KatherineOfSky for all the ideas they have shared. I am very thankful for the entire community reaching out to share ideas and paying it forward when they see someone else looking for better ways of playing this wonderful game we all love!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”