this may be often recommended but Technology hidden behind Boss battles?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter

this may be often recommended but Technology hidden behind Boss battles?

Post by EpicSlayer7666 »

Technology hidden behind Boss battles? like the enemies would not evolve further until the boss is beaten while your technology needs a part from the boss to be researched? like if it has fire resistant scales, you learn how to make rocket parts cause they need fire resistance or super hardened armor on a Boss gives better armor and structures to be available?

the Boss Event would be kind of Easy to make, you stop Biters from Spawning and Spawn the Boss in a near area from a Spawner or from the Black Zones... as long as it is capable to reaching the Destination. or maybe have the player have a message that he needs to hunt down a certain Biter type to progress further! Behemoth Biters and Spitters have WAY TOO MUCH HP! you do not even own a building that has this much HP and Resistance and those are not made of Flesh (or what ever pasty innards bugs are made of) and scales (practically like finger nails but thicker...) so the Behemoths are Bosses "Literally".

this would be like funnel points in the game so that the Player AND the Enemies plateau (stops) their advancement to a maximum so that none can get passed each other's Technology/Evolution by an insane margin!

since right now Biters are just an unimportant inconvenience you can completely turn off in the game (not peaceful mode, i literally mean no biters and spawners) and just research the science potions spamming them in and launching the rocket and satellite...

at this state the game is about finding out how to spam little potions into as many Labs as quick as possible... when you realize this, the game feels like it is lacking considering all the cool things you "can unlock" and do but it serves no purpose... (proof is when you put Mining Drills and Furnaces in Science Potions... this is not Witch Craft! you put the Science Potion in the Furnace... same with those Blue Processors... putting them in potions is just an excuse to "have a need to build them"...)

so to state a final thing: the game is wild in how unbalanced it can get on either sides by having Biters with 2000 HP when you need 3 more hours of research and production to fend them off (and cannot rebuild since they live everywhere...) or you are surrounded by 2000 Laser Turrets and the biters are only at Medium Evolution... (that must of taken a week of handcrafting to have such little pollution!) a Boss Battle that puts a upper Limit on Both would Regulate progression at a "pace"! (and give uses for Tanks, Power Armors, Armor Modules, Artillery, Uranium Ammo!)

also sorry for the wall of text... said in my mind it felt like it was going to be 1/4 of this...

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: this may be often recommended but Technology hidden behind Boss battles?

Post by conn11 »

Sounds like something in the vicinity of the adventure mod from fff309 and therefore a big maybe in a post 1.0. release.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Can be easily achieved by having the boss drop items required to research the tech.

A little reminiscent of alien tech before the big tech revamp.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

One could go so far, to suggest resuing exactly those entities. The argumentation for (and against) a the underlying theme of adventure mode can be found in the controversial opinion blog.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

That's the difference between i.e. Terraria and Mincraft. In Terraria you have to fight bosses to progress, in Minecraft you have all recipes available from the start, you just can't afford to make them. Those are different gating mechanisms, and Factorio chose "Research" as a gating mechanism. Enforcing battles is thus imho a violation of a basic game promise in factorio. It would also means that chosing to peacefully (no biters, no military) concentrate on just the factory building part would not be a valid play-style anymore. If you want more combat then maybe factorio just isn't the right game for you.

For the campaign, or scenarios or mods - sure, some variety can be fun. For freeplay: no thank you.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EpicSlayer7666 »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:39 pm
...It would also means that chosing to peacefully (no biters, no military) concentrate on just the factory building part would not be a valid play-style anymore. If you want more combat then maybe factorio just isn't the right game for you.

For the campaign, or scenarios or mods - sure, some variety can be fun. For freeplay: no thank you.
there is no reason why you could not play on peaceful mode, it would just mean that you do not need to defeat bosses or get the items. the research should take that into account when about to spawn a boss, it instead auto unlock the research wall.

and also the game is not about making factories... it is about spamming little potions in the Labs as fast as possible. it is not like you produce materials with your factories or do anything with the products. (except walling off with turrets, those get used, and making more assemblers and belts, those get used... but making the 3 types of chips are not used... all you need them for is to make more little potions for the science labs.)

you REALLY could just remove the biters from the game and all guns and tanks and make you build those potions to then build the Rocket and get a final score and start over until you are bored...

but there is no actual "need" for any of the stuff you produce, hence this game is pretty much just a Demo or a proof of concept that is currently busy on building the "Factory Mechanics" but the game is still yet to be made. now on the Other Hand, if you sent LOADS of micro chips in the Rocket to Space, then making them would have a use or a goal. (in other words, fulfilling the only purpose of a Factory, to Supply a product... so in either case, the game is still a Demo.)

EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EpicSlayer7666 »

ok to add on the other post i just did now, and not EDIT it, i must of came to the cruel Realization that the game is really just: "Make Science Potions, Spam them in the Labs, Launch Rocket." and no matter how many play through... if always feels like 90% of the game exists for no reason. Biters are one Example the tools to combat them that will NEVER be used is also one.

Past that, you can clearly tell some recipes have "Forced" ingredients since they would not get used otherwise and are only serving a purpose to increase the difficulty of the producing... it is not like they do anything for the product.

Example: you put Furnaces in the Science Potions... you put the Potion in the Furnace normally if you do Science.

Example 2: you put Blue "faster" Processor chips in the Potions... you normally use Faster Microchips to do more complex analyzing of a result or a product.

Example 3: they know that from the look of the recipe, but they chose to put it in the Potion to Force you to make more... (giving a use to a factory) instead of putting that as an Lab Upgrade recipe. (i did a random Mod of Rebalancing the Game over Night and it is just a proof of concept that science goes the other way.)

in final, i really just think you are lucky of not having noticed how the game fundamentally is "put potions in the Lab until you can Launch the Rocket." since the Game is still in Alpha (maybe Beta?) being in the 0.1 range of version almost 0.2, it is far from a V1.0 so for all we know, anything can happen. (hope it does not become a CandyCrush clone...)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Factorio is about designing factories (and watching them move), all the research and rockets and biters are just an attempt to motivate people to design more factories. But they are just that, incentives, not the main goal of the game. If you don't enjoy designing factories then these incentives won't make the game enjoyable for you, neither will boss battles. Not everyone finds the same things "motivating", that's just that. I personally don't care for research or biters or rockets, but i like the design aspect, and without *something* to dump all the products into the factory wouldn't move.

Btw, i've been on this forum for a few years, and you're by far not the first person to proclaim that "more battles" are the final solution for factorio to become interesting to them. And you won't be the last. But when you look at the history of factorio you can see very clearly where the main development focus is.

________
I see you wrote another post while i was writing this one:
EpicSlayer7666 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:42 am
in final, i really just think you are lucky of not having noticed how the game fundamentally is "put potions in the Lab until you can Launch the Rocket."
Yea, except... oh look what i wrote above. I think i have "noticed" that part.
You're focusing too much on the rocket, look at megabases, the rocket is where the game *begins* not where it ends. But if you like rockets so much maybe you should try SpaceX which gives a different name to the "potions" and makes you put them into the rocket silo instead of the labs. Or maybe you should try a death-world with a more-weapos mod? Or you know - maybe sandbox games just aren't your thing. In any case insulting people because they enjoy what you do not isn't going to get you anywhere.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EpicSlayer7666 »

eradicator wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:00 am
... In any case insulting people because they enjoy what you do not isn't going to get you anywhere.
that never happened. otherwise you saying this game is not for me would fall under the same kind. (to articulate: "If you want more combat then maybe factorio just isn't the right game for you." those words can be twisted and still mean the same thing but in it's current form the hidden "polite" soft burn would just be more apparent if rewritten in such twisted form.)

heck the title of the post is "this may be often recommended but Technology hidden behind Boss battles?" so i do realize people probably ask for it. next is this: since the game "has all this content" i can tell it was there for a reason... just that it never get used. normally you stay "naked" (no armor or gun) until you have the power armor MK2 since everything in between has no reason to exist or being made (wasted non-refundable resources) since at the speed researches are going to be made and the product's usefulness makes no sense to build before. Example:

you get Tanks First to clear around since it is impossible to approach the Spawners without that much (they respawn too quick) then you jump at Power Armor MK2 to clear further since MK1 takes the same ingredients.

the Modular Armor research path at the pace the game grows makes it obsolete in 2 or 3 research. plus you got Tanks that are better. then you Clear stuff with the Artillery and never move from there since you probably have enough stuff to finish the game.

also the only useful handheld gun is the Shotgun with Piercing Ammo. so all the other guns are more expensive and less DPS per resources. (not counting Flames cause they can make a mess in a forest or other unintended targets.)

so yes i enjoy making the factories but i see a bunch of items in there that are kind of just "functional place holders" waiting to be useful. tho Right now i am filling the gap with mods...

currently making AAI Vehicles working with the Network... all i managed was to make ore patches automatically zone them self spreading like fire and clean empty zones. by having the Vehicles pass near it initiate the spreading... that was my first time using the Cables for anything other that a production stop when number is reached. (i am a Network Newb.)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”