Rocket launch shouldn't be able to destroy science

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rocket launch shouldn't be able to destroy science

Post by conn11 »

planetmaker wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:35 am
I'm not arguing against usage of circuit networks in the least. Yet - as argued in the OP - the behaviour is inconsistent and against expectations (thus I consider the suggested things workarounds). And it is not good means to "encourage" usage circuit networks this way at this place in a totally unobvious way IMHO. Power usage is much more suited to that task.
But is the unexpected behavior really that bad? Having a little variety for the most advanced Vanilla building is -generally speaking- a plausible feature. It can be argued, that the possibility of deletion increases the value of the space science. Also as mentioned before, virtually all solutions preventing deletion are practically speaking foolproof (Given the UI is possible lacking).

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

conn11 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:52 pm
But is the unexpected behavior really that bad? Having a little variety for the most advanced Vanilla building is -generally speaking- a plausible feature. It can be argued, that the possibility of deletion increases the value of the space science. Also as mentioned before, virtually all solutions preventing deletion are practically speaking foolproof (Given the UI is possible lacking).
Yes it is bad.
A consistent user experience has to have consistent mechanics. If certain entities behave differently for no apparent reason it's just bad UX design.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I thought about it. (*)

And what this clearly points to is this:
Factorio needs a garbage-device.
Something where I can throw stuff into and it is gone.

The pure number of requests for this feature: I think we are now about 100 suggestions about it. And for the case of rockets, this is what is missing: If you just want to see the rockets starting you can use this device to destroy the unused science.

(*) I had used for example the DeepCore Mining mod. Which produces a lot too much uranium. So I build a super quirky automation: The overflow items where put into chests, when the chests are full, the chests where destroyed. I used the recursive blueprint mod to paste blueprints that builds water over it (waterfill mod). Then landfill it. Then rebuild the chests. And this works now since 20 hours perfect. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

ssilk wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:46 pm
Factorio needs a garbage-device.
Something where I can throw stuff into and it is gone.
Void Chest has been around for ages even before I adopted it back in 0.15
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/VoidChestPlus

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:09 am
gHoST INFERNO wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:47 am
Hm, this seems very, very unfortunate, that the game just quietly destroys my rather expensive resources, without even making it obvious that this is happening. Out of interest, what is the argument or reason that this isn't considered a bug but a feature?
Because bugs are things that aren't working as we intended them to. In this case I explicitly programmed it to work that way.

haha this sounds like rseding91 went through the source, found some reason it happened, used git-blame to see who caused the problem, realised it was his own code, and thought, why, i must certainly have meant for that to happen. feature, not a bug. sucks never being able to be wrong.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”