Blueprint usability improvements

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Blueprint usability improvements

Post by Mylon »

Having taken a break and come back, it's given me a fresh look on some usability issues.

* Labels are difficult to set in blueprints. Once the text is entered, clicking the green checkmark causes the label to be lost! Only clicking the pencil a second
or enter time saves the label. This is inconsistent with editing components or icons, where the green check mark must be clicked for changes to be saved. Editing the label does not require this checkmark.
* When browsing the blueprint library, blueprint labels are prominently displayed. When browsing a blueprint book, labels are not displayed!
* Some blueprints need to be in the inventory, some don't. This can create a weird situation when after dying and the inventory is emptied, some blueprints work and some don't. A solution would be to create a copy of the blueprint when trying to use it from the toolbar, even if this would create a duplicate after picking up the original off the corpse.
* Blueprint library can be edited the toolbar! I accidentally deleted a blueprint from my library thinking it was cluttering up my inventory. There's no clear indication of what blueprints in the toolbar point to the inventory and which point to the library. Please add a confirmation when deleting blueprints from the library, at least when doing so via this method.
* The toolbar should treat blueprints differently from other items. If the blueprint disappears or is deleted, remove it from the toolbar automatically.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Blueprint usability improvements

Post by slippycheeze »

Mylon wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:59 pm
* Labels are difficult to set in blueprints. Once the text is entered, clicking the green checkmark causes the label to be lost! Only clicking the pencil a second
or enter time saves the label. This is inconsistent with editing components or icons, where the green check mark must be clicked for changes to be saved. Editing the label does not require this checkmark.
Oh, gosh, I forgot that this is a thing I do all the time. This would be great to improve.
Mylon wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:59 pm
* When browsing the blueprint library, blueprint labels are prominently displayed. When browsing a blueprint book, labels are not displayed!
I think this (and many similar things) are planned to be addressed in the blueprint library GUI update. I'd link it, but apparently I have developed a sudden incompetence at searching, and can't find the specific blog post with the details. That had an "icon list" variant, though, which put the icon display left, and the name and "notes" for the blueprint on the right, in a single vertical list. That was definitely the answer to my questions about how to do some of that stuff without hacky things.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”