See the Logistic network-content like the Electric-network-info-menu

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

joshinils
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

See the Logistic network-content like the Electric-network-info-menu

Post by joshinils »

Heres the scenario, i have about 70 separate Logistic network, with about 10-20 roboports each, i know i have that many cause of the Logistic Networks-Menu which numbers them and tells me how many roboports they each have.
But this number they each get is only visible in this menu, not on anythiung else, not the bots flying around, not the roboports, not the orange/green outline, not the connection lines between roboports, not even the roboports themselves. Something that i can connect to a circuit network tells me which one it is conneted to, the number. i can also see which other entities it is connected to upon hover. this connection-highlight also works for roboports via various items like chests or roboports themselves.

However i can not intuitively see which networks content i can see in the Logistic Networks-Menu. how about making this work like the electric network?
leftclicking on any roboport that is out of range brings up the Logistic Networks-Menu which contains that roboport that i clicked on.
bots themselves are most of the time too fast to click on, but if they get lost this could also be nice.

Making each network glow like ores on the minimap could also be very nice, then i'd also know where this network is.
and vice-versa if i have the Logistic Networks-Menu open the network could blink on the minimap.

i'd even be happy with just hovering on any roboport (or on the minimap, or zoomed in) and then hitting L brings up the Logistic Networks-Menu with that roboport in it, would be absolutely not intuitive that this exists, but it would.

currently this only brings up the local network which my player is located in, this is usually not the one i want to know something about.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: See the Logistic network-content like the Electric-network-info-menu

Post by ssilk »

I tried to think about when I ever needed this. :)

My short thoughts: if you so often need to know what’s inside a logistic network, you are doing something wrong, too less automation is my guess. Some mechanism to exchange the items between the logistic networks automatically.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

joshinils
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by joshinils »

its not as much about checking all the time or wanting to move items automatically, but rather i want to sometinmes see if e.g. speed3 modules are produced in a high enough quanitity to warrant going to the base and picking some up. same with checking on production, if GC needs more iron, or if there is just a small buffer fromm the last train still remaining or if the chests for export are already full.

i know most of these things can be done in another way, but i think checking the networks content would be a nice alternative.

RadioDoc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Logistic System Storage Window

Post by RadioDoc »

TL;DR
The Logistic System Storage display needs its own window

What ?
Mousing over a logistics chest brings up both the contents of the chest and the overall status of the logistic system storage, sorted by descending quantity. If you have a lot of items in your storage system, it's causing the complete list to overflow off the bottom of the screen which prevents you from seeing the complete list of what's in storage.
Why ?
While I'm aware of the workarounds out there, honestly this should be such a basic feature that I'm surprised that it hasn't been implemented considering it was first brought up around version 0.14. It can be quite easy to forget at times which items you've set up on automation, especially when they are low quantity/low output items; i.e. turrets, lasers, radars, etc. - you want a few for automated replacement, but you don't need hundreds of them in storage. Having a dedicated window for the storage system would greatly aid new players in getting into the game, and remove some of the frustration and head-scratching that comes with trying to figure out if automated production of item X has already been set up.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] If I understand well, these suggestions are more or less the same, merging them.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

+1 for suggestion of OP

When you have many different Logistic networks it becomes a problem to get to their contents.
RadioDoc wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:12 pm
@RadioDoc: The logistic system already has its own window. You can access it by pressing "L" on the keyboard.
This is essentially the list that you also see when hovering over a logistic chest, but it is scrollable.

Your version of the suggestion sounds as if you did not know that. But I agree in a different way: The contents of the logistic network should be as easily accessible as the production statistics: with a recognizable button in the top right. Pressing "L" should only be a keyboard shortcut, not the one and only way to get to the logistic network stats.

RadioDoc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RadioDoc »

valneq wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:09 am
+1 for suggestion of OP

When you have many different Logistic networks it becomes a problem to get to their contents.
RadioDoc wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:12 pm
@RadioDoc: The logistic system already has its own window. You can access it by pressing "L" on the keyboard.
This is essentially the list that you also see when hovering over a logistic chest, but it is scrollable.

Your version of the suggestion sounds as if you did not know that. But I agree in a different way: The contents of the logistic network should be as easily accessible as the production statistics: with a recognizable button in the top right. Pressing "L" should only be a keyboard shortcut, not the one and only way to get to the logistic network stats.
You ever have one of those "mind blown" moments? Because I just did the second I read this. Had no idea that window was readily available until you clued me in on the hotkey. And of course, now that I know what key it is, there's the option in the settings when I was looking for it before. And yea, totally agree with you, there needs to be a way to get to it through the GUI.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

RadioDoc wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:20 am
Had no idea that window was readily available until you clued me in on the hotkey.
I only know about it from watching some (Tutorial?) Let's Play on YouTube. Probably by KatherineOfSky, but I am not sure anymore where I learned this first. And: You're welcome :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Never opened Preferences and looked, what keybindings exist? :)

For any player in the good old times (C64, Amiga, etc.) this was the first thing he did: press any key and look what happens. :lol:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”