Rework Keybindings

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

theloeschzwerg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Rework Keybindings

Post by theloeschzwerg »

I am a software developer who works in vim with a custom keyboard and used to the Esc key.
When I use software, key rebindings should be taken with care, because the developer is the one that knows the software the best and provides you with the sanest keybindings.

Suggestion:
Bind the Escape key to exit states AND windows. That means when I hold something in my hand, e.g. for placement and hit the Esc key, that thing should be unequipped the same as I close a window with Esc.

Q is closer to the ring finger, but because of my muscle memory I hit Esc quite often.
On my custom layout Esc lies under my little finger, so for me it is closer than Q.
This will also be especially useful for new players that don't want to mess with the settings, Q is not intuitive when I don't do the tutorial at first. I rather press Esc to try to escape from this strange building mode.
I didn't play for a longer time now and getting reused to Q is kind of hard. Especially because Q is also used for the pipette tool.

Oh... And speaking of which:
Please rework the Keybindings settings.
The current Keybinding system is also state based just like in vim.
An indicator for this is a totally weird and unintuitive two Q bindings just next each other.
There is no way to understand that as a bloody beginner.
If I enter these settings I am just flooded by all the keybindings and have no idea where to find which thing unless I just go down the list and read every element.
So the menu would probably be easier to read if there is always only one category opened.
I am totally unsure about this, but it might be a consideration to invert the presentation of bindings, so that I assign functionality to keys and key-combinations instead of assigning keys to functionality.
That way I can also have a look into my Keybindings as a kind of a cheat sheet, where the main functionality will logically be found under Mouse, 'less important' under basic keys
Grouping can be done like
- Mouse (which probably contains most functionality)
- basic keys (like WASD, Tab, Alt, ...)
- F-keys
- Numpad
- <Unassigned>
where modifiers can be added to already bound keys and are grouped under the key+modifier
Example:
  • LMB
      • build
      • select for blueprint
      • open objects GUI
    • + Shift
      • Select for cancel destruction
      • Place a tag in chat
If you now say that this is useless because you have no context in which area of the game these are used, then let me tell you it is not because 'Game' adds a sufficient context, but because the description lacks precision. As I said.. This needs a bit of love attention.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rework Keybindings

Post by slippycheeze »

Possibly relevant point: the keybindings are not in any way stateful. They do all the actions bound to them at one time.

Some actions simply do nothing when applied in a situation they can't logically do anything.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”