Multipipes, you cannot mix fluids at all

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Multipipes, you cannot mix fluids at all

Post by darkfrei »

Something like this:

The pipe has inside multiple amount of pipes, but when you try to connect two fluids, you connect just outside pipes, but inside pipes are always separated.

The throughput by such connection will be lower, but you can use separated lines for big fluid amounts.

If to the pipe connected n fluids, then the throughput of each will be also n times slower.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Multipipes, you cannot mix fluids at all

Post by Koub »

I'm not sure this is really used as a multi-fluid pipe in real life. I would guess such an arrangement is solely for transportation purpose, as the small pipes are stacked optimally (max number of pipes in a given volume, stackable).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AngledLuffa »

It would be nice to be able to set flamethrower turrets to use either light or heavy depending on which is more available. That used to be possible, but I don't think it is now.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

Koub wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:44 am
I'm not sure this is really used as a multi-fluid pipe in real life. I would guess such an arrangement is solely for transportation purpose, as the small pipes are stacked optimally (max number of pipes in a given volume, stackable).
you're right, thats just for transport
that's what a heat exchanger would look like
must be a pita to weld all the pipes

anyway, no one would use it to build a "multi-pipe"

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Most relevantly, a real life multi-pipe is actually a single, regular, huge pipe that carries multiple things. Separated by something or other -- frequently, "whatever, the mixture is fine treated as the lower grade", sometimes water or other fluids that don't mix, sometimes just thrown away.

See a real world comment about batching petrochemicals for an example.

At some point I'm certain I heard about a more advanced version of this, which used a buffer fluid -- water, perhaps, though that'd exclude lighter products -- and a packet switching design that had multiple routes, but I can't find anything documenting it now.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”