Copy factorio-current.log, config.ini into save file

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Copy factorio-current.log, config.ini into save file

Post by Jon8RFC »

TL;DR
When making a save or autosave, copy factorio-current.log, config.ini, and whatever files the Factorio team may find useful for bug reports.

What ?
Save whatever files are helpful for bug reporting--excluding personal or private data, obviously--into the save file itself. Factorio can just keep the latest version of the files in the save, but never use them when loading. Just a repository and very unlikely to cause any noticeable save file bloat.

Why ?
This way, when a save is shared for bug reports, there's a lesser chance of logs being lost due to multiple restarts of the game.

Useful files are automatically shared without having to say "you forgot this and that" or having to request additional useful files, when someone uploads a save file.

This almost turns every save into a ready-to-use bug report.

I can't even begin to imagine the full value of a system like this, but I bet historical things will be helpful, such as "it never did this on my old save"...and the person forgets that they upgraded from an HD5870 to a 1070 graphics card around that time, or forgets that their old save was played on an older version, etc.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”