2 suggestions for assembler -> requester chest recipe copy

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

2 suggestions for assembler -> requester chest recipe copy

Post by Zaflis »

1) Option to not remove existing requests when pasting over new recipes. I frequently use requester chests that serve different producers, think of a mall type use. 1 requester chest between 2 assemblers, and each assembler with different recipe.

2) Pasting a recipe with only 1 item request. This option is currently already done for manually made requests (i do use that and it's great), but we don't have this for recipe pasting (shift-right click copy, shift-left click paste).

Ideally a combination of 1) and 2) would be what i'm after. If requester chest was previously set for:
50 gears, 50 copper plates
Then new recipe is pasted to it with recipe (2 gears, 1 iron plate) the outcome for requester chest would be:
50 gears, 50 copper plates, 1 iron plate
So because gears were already included, additional ones would be ignored not summed together!

Perhaps even a suggestion 3)
When hovering over requester chest or assembler while player is in interaction range, then press Delete key it would clear the recipe and requests. You wouldn't have to "abuse" copy-paste for clearing.

Of course you can decide what of these should be customizable in options.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 2 suggestions for assembler -> requester chest recipe copy

Post by slippycheeze »

The mod Additional Paste Settings implements a bunch of what you asked for.

I'm not saying "use the mod", in fact, I mention it for exactly the opposite reason: I thought exactly the same thing as you, and that this should be part of the base game. I found the mod because it wasn't.

It turns out that, in practice, trying to "do what I mean" when pasting settings like that is much harder than it sounds. "what I mean" isn't one constant thing, and I got frustrated enough when it was different from what the mod implemented that I ended up removing it.

It isn't that the mod was wrong: it was that *sometimes* I wanted one behaviour, merging, sometimes another, replacing, and sometimes a third, just make it be the appropriate buffer size for two machines to run from this chest for 30 seconds. Because the game couldn't read my mind I ended up frustrated enough of the time that "guessing wrong" was more annoying than "not trying at all."

I'd encourage you to try the mod yourself and see if you actually want this behaviour - or if like me, it turns out to be more complicated than that.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”