Ctrl+Middle mouse click on chest/container

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Ctrl+Middle mouse click on chest/container

Post by Tekillaa »

TL;DR
Ctrl+Middle mouse on chest/container

What ?
When we make a Ctrl+ right click on a item in a container, the game try to take half of each stack in each slot of the container, so we got this kind of result after the player action :

My suggestion is : the game proceed to first make the total of each item in the chest, then take the half of the total (trying to free first red slot maybe?) instead of each stack to have this kind of result when the player do ctrl + middle mouse.

Why ?
The result is far more intuitive for me (and probably more players), and it removes the mismatch for stack of 5 (give 40% instead of 50%).

Edit: Thanks to mmmPI, i change the title and the main idea to keep both way to do.

Thanks to the dev for this awesome game <3
Last edited by Tekillaa on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It should be add in the game: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67650 :)

SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: change how the game proceed Ctrl+right click on chest/container

Post by SuicideJunkie »

This behaviour is quite useful since boxes don't have filters, but as long as you don't take the last item in a slot, it is effectively filtered.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

SuicideJunkie wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:48 pm
This behaviour is quite useful since boxes don't have filters, but as long as you don't take the last item in a slot, it is effectively filtered.
I don't see your point, we can control the type of item incoming in the chest without filter : filter inserter to be sure about the item going in, the request for logistic chest, logic network to control.. I dont see the use you try to show me?
I also got the same problem when i want to pick up item from a container with filtered slot, item are spread on all slot, i dont understand why it's that way.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I think the point is for the second situation, if you want a box to contain half iron ore half plate , you put that in it, then you can just take half of the iron plate, you don't need to worry about filters on the chest slots and the iron ore taking all room.

Sure you can control what's get put in the chest with circuits and conditions on inserter.

The first case " trying to get rid of all red first " would be nice but it could be ONLY and not "first" else you run into the problem that if you have 10 slot with item in a chest 5 belts stacks and 5 gear stacks and all others close, If you right click early in the game, you still have the "filter", 1/2 of each with actual behavior, with proposed behavior, you would only have 2.5 stacks of belts and 2.5 stacks of gears, which may be refilled as 7 stacks of gears and 3 stacks of belts, or you add conditions on inserter.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

mmmPI wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:08 pm
I think the point is for the second situation, if you want a box to contain half iron ore half plate , you put that in it, then you can just take half of the iron plate, you don't need to worry about filters on the chest slots and the iron ore taking all room.

Sure you can control what's get put in the chest with circuits and conditions on inserter.

The first case " trying to get rid of all red first " would be nice but it could be ONLY and not "first" else you run into the problem that if you have 10 slot with item in a chest 5 belts stacks and 5 gear stacks and all others close, If you right click early in the game, you still have the "filter", 1/2 of each with actual behavior, with proposed behavior, you would only have 2.5 stacks of belts and 2.5 stacks of gears, which may be refilled as 7 stacks of gears and 3 stacks of belts, or you add conditions on inserter.
The situation you put the light on should be possible if we keep holding Shift then we pass the mouse over each slot (still holding the click too) to let my suggestion a way to exist. I don't use chest that way, i deal only with one material per chest 99,99% of the time because we cant set filter on chest's slots and when i use car on belt with a full inventory with filter for exemple, even when i do as player the "ctrl right click" on the inventory to take half of everything, see each slot are still used so it ask more action to change something, so less flexibility with the actual way to do.

My point of view is : the way it is now is no intuitive compare to how our inventory works and it gives bad result.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Tekillaa wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:40 pm
if we keep holding Shift then we pass the mouse over each slot (still holding the click too)
That would force to open the chest gui everytime.

which is what you have to do now to achieve what you want, open the gui and Shift Left click every slots you want to clear, one by one , a bit annoying but it allows the possility to CTRL right click twice directly on the chest and you collect 75% of the chest, while keeping the slot as they were before your click to refill in same proportion.

I would understand it for closed slots, finish the red slot in priority, instead of taking in a slot that is not red, and take in those only what is needed to finish the 50%. with the idea of clearing slots , for 3x100 , do not take 50 50 50 even if they are all closed but prefer 0 50 100.

That or maybe exactly as you describe but as a behavior called "clear slots in chest" and a hotkey that is not CTRL by default, so anyone could choose its prefered behavior, maybe change during the game, depending on what you do.

I had always find weird this particular thing but it has some good sides.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Ok i see your point, thank you for showing this kind of use to this behaviour. Like you make the suggestion, it maybe needs another hotkey (ctrl+middle mouse maybe?) to have the result I'm looking for, i loose so much time trying to make chest organisation sometimes (mall chest transition, when i want to change filter on some slots without have to maj click each slot i want to clean to make finally the operation "i take half of what is in the chest and what left is already in the good stack size". I mean IRL, when i got 4 packs of crakers and i want half of it, i will not open each 4 to take half, i take 2 packs of crakers...

when i got a chest of car (or non stackable item), it's also impossible to take half of it with a simple action.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

now i don't understand you, why is it important that what is left in the chest is the good stack size?

If you want to take only half of the chest you just CTRL click the chest directly.

You can wire the inserter to the chest, with a condition like Belts<400, and another inserter with condition Splitter<100, and another one underground <100.

This way you don't even need red slots, when you ctrl right click you get 200 50 50, another time you get 100 25 25 more if you want all in one click you use the other click.

If you don't have circuits yet like ealy game, you can put 1 1 1 1 belts 1 splitter 1 underground, and close all other slots, when you come back you CTRL click several times, and it saves the filter in a way. but you cannot use the other click it.

For a mall a lazy trick is to connect all the inserter and their chest with wire, you can set all inserter to belt<0 , gears<0 inserter <0 ect, this way if you want to change something you add a constant combinator with -100 belts, or pipes -400.

If you like the idea you can even have a constant combinator with the requirement for each of the most used blueprint and little speakers that tells you when it is ready like when nothing is negative.

that may be off topic though :D

EDIT: looking at your car base, it seems like you experience the thing you describe with chest WAY more, it gives different light on your problem when we consider the 1600 car factor. Yeah shift click all slot ect, must be really painful, and also it explain why someone would make multiple stacks of car for another reason that to just look at them :d

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

mmmPI wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:16 pm
now i don't understand you, why is it important that what is left in the chest is the good stack size?

If you want to take only half of the chest you just CTRL click the chest directly.

You can wire the inserter to the chest, with a condition like Belts<400, and another inserter with condition Splitter<100, and another one underground <100.

This way you don't even need red slots, when you ctrl right click you get 200 50 50, another time you get 100 25 25 more if you want all in one click you use the other click.

If you don't have circuits yet like ealy game, you can put 1 1 1 1 belts 1 splitter 1 underground, and close all other slots, when you come back you CTRL click several times, and it saves the filter in a way. but you cannot use the other click it.

For a mall a lazy trick is to connect all the inserter and their chest with wire, you can set all inserter to belt<0 , gears<0 inserter <0 ect, this way if you want to change something you add a constant combinator with -100 belts, or pipes -400.

If you like the idea you can even have a constant combinator with the requirement for each of the most used blueprint and little speakers that tells you when it is ready like when nothing is negative.

that may be off topic though :D
I already know all this stuff, the thing about red slot are in parenthesis, so it's not the main problem I want to put light on, don't focus on that. Keep the concept of making a total of the selection before making half of it then take the true half of it (with fully compressed stack remaining) : exactly what happen in your inventory for the same action. Because the size of the player inventory is limited, i cant always put all in my inventory to put back half with the same action. it goes the same for inventory with multiples item. The way it will act with red slots change nothing to that.

For exemple when i take stuff from a train with filtered slot, i got troubles with taking the true half of what is remaining in the train. If i try to make it with "shift right click" to have the result i aim, a miss click on a empty slot can lead to put a filter with the copy function, whick makes me loose more time, it's not handy the way it is.

I'm thinking about changing my title to making suggestion "Ctrl + middlemouse" to have the result I'm making suggestion.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Tekillaa wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:36 pm
the concept of making a total of the selection before making half of it then take the true half of it (with fully compressed stack remaining)
Ctrl + middlemouse"
that is simpler , especially for non-stackable or odd number item stack.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”