Please make factorio consistent [Blueprints]

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Please make factorio consistent [Blueprints]

Post by nuhll »

So please... why you did it that way? That doesnt make any sense?!?!?!

change this, so its the same, please. Dont make EVERYTHING so complicated, factorio itself is complicated enaught, i have nearly 2000 hours and NEED TO SEARCH google to find out why i couldnt export a blueprint :roll: :oops: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :lol:

4.png
4.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 3776 times

5.png
5.png (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3776 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Please make factorio consistent [Blueprints]

Post by Rseding91 »

The game does not support having both of those GUIs open at the same time. That's why it currently isn't there.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

Rseding91 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:13 pm
The game does not support having both of those GUIs open at the same time. That's why it currently isn't there.
When you go to open the blueprint from the blueprint library, close the blueprint library then open the blueprint. Tada! </smartass comment>

... Sorry. Though in all seriousness, this is one of the more frustrating things at the moment about trying to work with blueprints. I've been ignoring the annoyance because of this blog post (which ironically is coming up on it's birthday (writeday? postday?)) that indicates we'll see other substantial improvements to the blueprint library.

However, it's a not insubstantial annoyance that
A: Blueprints in the blueprint library can't be modified to the same extent as blueprints in the inventory
B: Blueprints in the inventory take up valuable inventory slots, so you should avoid storing them there like the plague
C: So you thus have to constantly move a blueprint from the blueprint library, to your inventory, do whatever modifications you need to with it, just to move it back to your library so you can reclaim your inventory space.

If anything can be done about this as further looks into fine-tuning the blueprint library are done, you will have my undying adoration (nevermind that you've already pretty much already got that, it's irrelevant)

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Hi,

I agree on the fact blueprints are not handy :

let's add a point of view

- I was use to play with game about some roller coasters/city/hospital, and the way blueprints/prebuilds are managed are a bit more intuitive, the fact to have it as item is a bit wierd for me. It's not a physic material, it's an intell, an idea, and a idea take the same space as 100 iron plates?? Blueprint should be linked into the player blueprint library, and let the player the possibility to make a item with a blue print like if we need to "print" one to share it the old way. I think deal with them like a file in windows OS is better for me.

- In the start menu, we should have an option to go in a "editor world", a moderator made a thread about a kind of "blue print laboratory", a dedicated world for blue print edition and library management. The idea is to have a easy way from the menu or from a save (in the game) to have access to all blue print, to share one, show one without making to many personnal settings to make simulation of something very basic. This blue print laboratory should be available in game if we need too : i make so many load/reload to check blue prints sometimes, loading the Creative mod, Zoom and Bottleneck. Now with experience I know how to do, but i think it's possible to make something more handy about the blue print edition and library management. To push a bit, it like loading another save during the game, the actual game just pause time to make the blue print or make things in the library, like a mini game in the game, a blueprint console.

-There is a post just about the possibility to zoom in/out for a blueprint, another exemple that we need another way to deal with blue prints

In conclusion, I feel likes what is around blueprints is not enough handy for the extreme use we probably all do about it. A window with all blue print and BP book (with maybe less confusing icon too, its hard to see easily what is what?) like Windows OS, when we want to look into, a mini simulation, like a naked world to be able to make things in the blue prints like we where in a edition mode or at least a easy way to load a special save directly with some mod and preset without making :
1) quit game
2) change mod (zoom/bottle neck/creative mod)
3) confirm
4) load the save for edition
5)making the bp with wierd transition for saving it about the fact that is an item (sometimes i forgot what i just edited in the inventory of the edition save)
6) quit game
7) remove mod
8) reload game
9) reload save
Who says it's long to change something in a BP?

Everything i said was already written/gathered by a moderator in that post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50130. Just sharing my impressions.

Factorio is awesome!
It should be add in the game: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67650 :)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

On part of what you said: blueprints in the blueprint library are just mini save files. That's how they work and that's how they will always work. You will always have to have the correct set of mods enabled to use blueprints created with those mod(s).

Your desires for how you want blueprints to work are unrealistic and are never going to happen.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Thank you for the fast answer, sorry my english is poor, there is maybe a missunderstanding :
I'm trying to make my own "Blueprint Laboratory" and i m looking for the less action to get into it.
I was making reference to those mods as tools for edition, not as part of a blue print. I mean i play the game (when im not making edition of blue print in god mod etc..) with "non game changing" mods (or just without 100% vanilla), and when i make a blue print, it's with only basic part from the game. Creative mod is good way to make mats/liquid coming from an item of 1 tile square, i can slow/speed up the game, lot of good idea to make BP edition easy. Zoom and bottleneck are good tools too so..

I making suggestion a way to load a save with mods with less steps than what it requires at the moment,when i load a saves that it requires mod like the ones i use as tools, instead of loading the save without the mods, if the save got mods to loads, the game ask to the player if the game got to reloads the good mods to have the save working in the good conditions. Just quality of life in the menu without real deep change in game.

I try to do my best for my english. Thank you for the game, it's already beautiful and very enjoyable, i mean it (One of my best game ever).
Last edited by Tekillaa on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

I think I follow -- you want each combination of mods to have a different blueprint library.
I fear since there is a near infinite combination of mods a Factorio player can have enabled at any time (not to mention by version#) this would not be practical. Perhaps you can use Blueprint Books to keep your blueprints separate by technology needed?

I think what you could do for your own purposes is set up your own blueprint data file and if you have radically different blueprint file needs swap it out while Factorio is not running.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=71483&p=433642&hili ... le#p433642
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Tekillaa wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:04 pm

- I was use to play with game about some roller coasters/city/hospital, and the way blueprints/prebuilds are managed are a bit more intuitive, the fact to have it as item is a bit wierd for me. It's not a physic material, it's an intell, an idea, and a idea take the same space as 100 iron plates?? Blueprint should be linked into the player blueprint library, and let the player the possibility to make a item with a blue print like if we need to "print" one to share it the old way. I think deal with them like a file in windows OS is better for me.

Factorio is awesome!
You can put a link to a Library BP into your toolbar without creating a physical BP that takes up inventory:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=65929

The caveat is changes to make to it are permanent while if you had made a copy to your inventory, you could, say, replace items on a one-time basis without affecting the library copy...
-
Ranger Aurelien

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Yes,i put some BP for different task in the game on the UI bar, but if you dont got the item on you, you cant use the BP bind in the UI, a bit frustrating.

Exemple : i got different BP to set up a Mining outpost, mining drills pattern, train station pattern depending the shape etc.., but somehow i came to the location without those Bp items, my point is the player should have a kind of BP library bound to the save, everything like it is at the moment stay the same but we got a kind of "BP inventory" instead of BP in the "item inventory".

We have a player BP library, the suggestion i was trying to make for exemple is a library for the save itself, like a new BPinventory for the player in a save, no more in the main inventory with item, and all features stay the same. And because the player got directly a library for his save. No more Bp lost in a chest or car or tank etc somewhere somehow..

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Tekillaa wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 pm
Bp library for the save itself
In multiplayer games I join there is a public blueprint section to the left of the personal BP library.
How about if instead of opening single player mode you instead hosted/started your save as a multiplayer game (could be private, don't need to publish), then copy over the BP you need so they are in the "shared" library instead of your save-independent master folio?

https://wiki.factorio.com/Blueprint
-
Ranger Aurelien

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Rseding91 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:27 pm
On part of what you said: blueprints in the blueprint library are just mini save files. That's how they work and that's how they will always work. You will always have to have the correct set of mods enabled to use blueprints created with those mod(s).

Your desires for how you want blueprints to work are unrealistic and are never going to happen.
Do you understand my request now? btw?

The same windows should have the same options/contents. Theres no reason i cant export a string in any "right clicked blueprint" on this earth

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

nuhll wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:37 pm
Rseding91 wrote:

The same windows should have the same options/contents. Theres no reason i cant export a string in any "right clicked blueprint" on this earth
Nuhll, Rseding understands. The problem is a technical issue of the engine and how all of the UI elements work and some UI elements not being able to opened while other UI elements are already opened. Best we can hope is that they're willing to find a fix for the UI issue. I think we're all in agreement that it'd be nice to have those options present regardless of where the blueprint is opened from, but there are technical challenges.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Darinth wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:22 pm
nuhll wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:37 pm
Rseding91 wrote:

Nuhll, Rseding understands. The problem is a technical issue of the engine and how all of the UI elements work and some UI elements not being able to opened while other UI elements are already opened. Best we can hope is that they're willing to find a fix for the UI issue. I think we're all in agreement that it'd be nice to have those options present regardless of where the blueprint is opened from, but there are technical challenges.
I dont think you understsand what i mean.

My english isnt the best, so sorry for that.

Im not taling about opening different uis at the same time. Im talking about that the same UIs should look same and have the same options (in this case export Blueprint)

Or: the 2. picture should have the same ui elements as the first one

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

If I understand correctly, what one would expect to be the same UI item (blueprint opened from blueprint book in your library and blueprint opened from inventory) are in reality two completely different items, despite 90% of their content being the same and making them look the same.

I often see that at work, when things seem totally ununderstandable to the end user because they seem not to make sense at all, while they perfectly make sense for the developper - or in my case to the IT guy. Things work that way because of how they were designed and built, even though from a user standpoint, the impression is that ... But but why ?! and How ?!
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Yes, thats what i mean, thank you.

Devs have problems to see everything mosty from their understanding, but the user does not know. (and dont care :))

So i think its no problem to make them look the same?

sepharim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sepharim »

As Developer i would say that it is possible to have the same UI or atleast to make same identical. BUT!!!! we are in the process of rewriting GUI's, and especially the BP Section will get a rewrite (as far as i understood the timeline). Therefore why should i make those nearly identical windows identical, which can be a lot of effort, if i am onto throwing boths UI's away and make a new one? As Both UI's came from a different age, it can really be difficult. And don't forget, we are on experimental yet, therefore wait for the developers to have time finishing, and i am the opinion that we will get really really good BP handling in the end, but for now, the BP are put into as a try, it worked out that this is good for the game, therefore wait for the new UI to be finished. :) More patients to our incredible devs :)

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

If they redo it, suggestions may be welcome? :D

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”