Navigation back to the base

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Arakasi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Navigation back to the base

Post by Arakasi »

I found, that there might be useful to have some navigation back to the base.
My current base is relatively small (comparing the ones which are presented here in forum) and I often drive my car looking for enemy bases and resources. And I am driving further and further. It is becoming more complicated get to the base especially in the night.

Could be possible place special navigation beacon and small arrow (something like compass) will always show direction to the nearest beacon?
If the beacon will have its name the arrow may show this name also.

All might be accessible after proper research of course.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Navigation back to the base

Post by FreeER »

While you can press F5 ingame to see the x/y coords of your location (at the top) and since most (or at least I do) start somewhat close to where they spawn (which is somewhere right around 0,0) it's fairly easy to find your base again. You could also use railroad tracks (and then just follow them back), or string electric poles and place lights now and then.

However I do like the idea of a compass/beacon (especially for extended worlds where you end up with several bases) though I might suggest having the map (press m) show the beacons (simply an arrow on the side that would take you closer to the beacon), perhaps with a name if you can give them one.

Beacons would also give map makers a way to show players that something is off in the distance (though they might not be able to break through to get the 'treasure') instead of having to say 'hey go this way', they could have a few beacons and make the player go see what they are :D
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Arakasi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Arakasi »

FreeER wrote:While you can press F5 ingame to see the x/y coords of your location (at the top) and since most (or at least I do) start somewhat close to where they spawn (which is somewhere right around 0,0) it's fairly easy to find your base again. You could also use railroad tracks (and then just follow them back), or string electric poles and place lights now and then.
as a temporary solution it might be useful

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

a beacon could be a great use for a radar dish!

currently the map is at a level where it looks like a sat nav picture, i would be fine with a more stylized map, by using simple colours in small amounts you could easily compress the map while still being readable(and extend map veiw beyond maximum sight range, i still find that really odd)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”