Display the max distance that an underground belts and pipes can go before placement

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

jackthesmack
Inserter
Inserter

Display the max distance that an underground belts and pipes can go before placement

Post by jackthesmack »

TL;DR
When an underground pipe or belt is in your hand, display the maximum distance it can reach.

What ?
Similar to how when you place the second underground belt or pipe, the first one placed should also show the maximum distance. I made some example images of what I mean.
Why ?
When I am placing underground belts or pipes, there are tight constraints that require placing a belt and deleting it then replacing it with a slight adjustment because I did not know the distance it would go. It would streamline the process of placing these underground objects.

Because the 3 belts and pipes are all different lengths, it's difficult to visually memorize their length.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Display the max distance that an underground belts and pipes can go before placement

Post by Tekky »

I am not sure if I would want this, because, if I am not interested in the maximum length, then I would probably find it distracting.

Maybe it would be best if it would only display the length when holding the SHIFT button?

Aderon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Display the max distance that an underground belts and pipes can go before placement

Post by Aderon »

Doesn't holding shift cause a ghost to be placed?

BEEFE
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BEEFE »

Seems like a toggle that could be put in the box next to the quickbar, along with the exoskeleton and personal roboport toggles.

Definitely should be an option for people who want it (probably by default, I say as someone who wants it) with an option to turn it off. I bet seeing a max length preview would help people internalize the max lengths faster, so they wouldn't need the preview anymore.

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

I agree with this suggestion. I often find myself placing what will be the exit to an underground belt, then the entrance and reversing the direction, as often I know where I have to finish, but want to maximize my use of length.

Also agree with the toggle option.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Aderon wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:44 pm
Doesn't holding shift cause a ghost to be placed?
Ah, yes, I believe you are right. How about the CTRL modifier key? Or is that also reserved for something else?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”