[0.17.53] Campaign cannot be completed if Compilatron destroys the salvaged electronic circuits

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ceresward
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17.53] Campaign cannot be completed if Compilatron destroys the salvaged electronic circuits

Post by ceresward »

So this is Factorio, neat! I'm going to try out the campaign!

Sweet, the shipwreck had electronic circuits. No idea what those do, but they seem important! I'm going to put them in a wooden chest for safe keeping. I'll put the chest right here, near the iron ore patch.

[a little while later]

F#$&, that stupid robot blew up my chest! Hope those circuits weren't important...

[a little while later]

Okay, time to build my first assembler! Looks like it needs circuits. Okay, I'll craft some. Hmm, it's red in my inventory, let's see...must be made in an assembler...uhh...I can't...erm...f#$&
Okay in all seriousness, I'm not a new player, I've played the campaign before, and I know better than to build things near the iron mines before Compilatron does his thing :) But I think this is a not unreasonable sequence of events that might happen to a new player. The problem is that at this point in the campaign, you cannot hand-craft electronic circuits. But you also need 3 electronic circuits to make your first assembler. The game resolves this chicken-and-egg problem by giving the player three circuits in the shipwreck salvage at the start. But what if it were possible to "lose" these circuits? Then the campaign would become impossible to complete. The above scenario demonstrates that not only is it possible, but something a new player may end up doing by accident.

As far as what I would expect the game to do instead - option A is for Compilatron should not destroy entities that are in the way when it does its scripted build, and instead ask the player to pick them up before continuing. I think then it would be truly impossible to destroy your starting circuits. Option B would be to have Compilatron request the circuits in its requester chest for safe-keeping, which it would then give back to the player when it's time to build the first assembler. Option C, have the player mine the circuits from a piece of salvage just prior to crafting the assembler instead of at the start of the game, and make that piece of salvage not mineable before that point
Last edited by ceresward on Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.17.41] Campaign cannot be completed if Compilatron destroys the salvaged electronic circuits

Post by abregado »

it is planned that compilatron will replace items from chests that it removes when pathfinding.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”