Different Texture for Low Density Structure

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Ron_Quiney
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Different Texture for Low Density Structure

Post by Ron_Quiney »

TL;DR

Current texture potentially triggers trypophobia, hopefully can be changed to something with less holes.

What and Why?

Trypophobia is an aversion to the sight of irregular patterns or clusters of small holes, or bumps [wiki]
Current texture resembles exactly that:
(spoiler for better contrast)

Personally for me that problem is not potential but real, i occasionally get unpleasant shivers and tingles from working with LDS.
I could be not alone, and hope to get replies from people who get similar feeling.

Suggestion

As it's primaraly used with rockets and satellites, it could be changed to something like generic satellite core:
Image (Example courtesy of Kerbal Space Program)

but maybe looking more like an empty bowl, as it is used to house all of the other components used in crafting aforementioned satellite:

Unnecessary IRL comparison

Image Solars and Image Comms clearly visible;
Image Batteries, Image CPUs and Image Fuel housed in the core

Goose
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Different Texture for Low Density Structure

Post by Goose »

Before .17, I don't think anybody could actually tell what was actually happening inside that sprite.
I like the high tech hexagonal design, but I would loose a bit of the curve, or at least make the wavelength of the entire plate larger than it is now.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

picture of actual light weight structure

what also bugs me is that the recipe needs a lot of steel and copper, which is the opposite of light weight.
Sure its nice for balancing but I think it should be changed to copper wires and iron sticks.

In the end you use the same raw material, but copper wire and iron sticks seem more suitable for a lightweight structure than steel beams and thick sheets of copper. Also adding a production line with high throughput of intermediates which makes the production more challenging.

Goose
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Goose »

JimBarracus wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 am
picture of actual light weight structure

what also bugs me is that the recipe needs a lot of steel and copper, which is the opposite of light weight.
Sure its nice for balancing but I think it should be changed to copper wires and iron sticks.

In the end you use the same raw material, but copper wire and iron sticks seem more suitable for a lightweight structure than steel beams and thick sheets of copper. Also adding a production line with high throughput of intermediates which makes the production more challenging.
I agree with LDS using the materials it does, despite the fact that it doesn't really make sense as a building material for something that claims to be low density.

Reguarding low density structures and high throughput, expensive recipes already has that exact sort of thing.

BEEFE
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BEEFE »

I'll add that the current sprite is virtually invisible on yellow transport belts.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Hello,

About the icon : I can agree on the fact that the item on the belt have a serious lack of visibility compare to all other items, a new icon for the low density structure is welcome for me.

About the recipe, the actual one is good for me : we cant have materials such as carbon fiber, aluminium, titanium or specific plactic like kevlar and others, so it doesnt need a change to my point of view (more plastic for less copper is the only change that make sense maybe?)
It should be add in the game: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67650 :)

imcute
Inserter
Inserter

Post by imcute »

Ron_Quiney wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:51 pm
TL;DR

Current texture potentially triggers trypophobia, hopefully can be changed to something with less holes.

What and Why?

Trypophobia is an aversion to the sight of irregular patterns or clusters of small holes, or bumps [wiki]
Current texture resembles exactly that:
(spoiler for better contrast)

Personally for me that problem is not potential but real, i occasionally get unpleasant shivers and tingles from working with LDS.
I could be not alone, and hope to get replies from people who get similar feeling.

Suggestion

As it's primaraly used with rockets and satellites, it could be changed to something like generic satellite core:
Image (Example courtesy of Kerbal Space Program)

but maybe looking more like an empty bowl, as it is used to house all of the other components used in crafting aforementioned satellite:

Unnecessary IRL comparison

Image Solars and Image Comms clearly visible;
Image Batteries, Image CPUs and Image Fuel housed in the core
lul hecs probe core
why?i just like that 1.25 standard probe core and nothing else(no hecss or rovemates)

Dmytrozern
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dmytrozern »

I'm down for changing it just because of this one guy. It brings nothing bad to others. Factorio is about a good experience for all of us.
Visibility point is just a bonus.
Mostly a vanilla player. Enjoy extreme railworld deathworlds with a 5x+ tech price.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”