It can also be used to mine any kind of path, said no-one ever

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: It can also be used to mine any kind of path, said no-one ever

Post by eradicator »

Factorio has many places where internal names leak to the surface in the base game, and especially in mod descriptions. "Ghosts" (plans?), "Entities" (buildings?), "to mine" (a mix of mine, deconstruct, fell, pick up, etc...), "tile" (flooring?), "chunk" (region?), "surface" (map? planet?), etcpp.. You can change the "official" wording, but it'll be hard to change the communities established vocabulary. Is the english "translation" on crowdin? If yes that'd be a better place to poke around.

Btw, native english speakers only make up 33% of all english language speakers. You're basically a minority :p.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

That's why I said it could be "ground cover(ing)" or some thing else to be clearer.

Chao
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chao »

Simple suggestion to replace "path", "paving". It semantically avoids all the problems that comes with "path" but is still a minimal change that keeps the connection to the existing terminology.

"Can be used to mine" is trickier. There are several other terms Factorio uses to discuss removing objects, "deconstruct" comes to mind. But even then none of them help with the fact that what it's saying really is "while you are holding this, then holding right click will remove a paving tile". Even if you accept "mine" for "holding right click will remove" it still doesn't easily convey "while you are holding this".

Overall it might well be easier to instead have a tile type in the inventory whose purpose is to remove paths. It would have the same sizing effect as other pavings, be placed with left click, except rather than placing itself, it just removes what is there.

This removes the mechanic of using a paving to enable right click to remove other pavings and instead relies on the exact same mechanic used to place the original. Which then means the text doesn't have to awkwardly try and explain this mechanic.

Ultros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ultros »

csduff wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:42 pm
In my opinion, a simple change to "It can also be used to replace any kind of path" would be clearer, and should be sufficient to keep everyone happy.

Using "replace" is actually an inferior phrasing IMO compared to the existing one, as it is technically incorrect. As already mentioned elsewhere, it can be used to remove (not just replace) paths (but notably not tiles).

Since the point of this thread is to be pedantic about grammar and usage, I feel it's warranted to engage in such a level of pedantry.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Ultros wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:07 pm
Since the point of this thread is to be pedantic about grammar and usage, I feel it's warranted to engage in such a level of pedantry.
No, the point of the thread was to ask if people could talk good maybe when they inscribe electric pictographs with their meat fingers.

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

Ultros wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:07 pm
csduff wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:42 pm
In my opinion, a simple change to "It can also be used to replace any kind of path" would be clearer, and should be sufficient to keep everyone happy.

Using "replace" is actually an inferior phrasing IMO compared to the existing one, as it is technically incorrect. As already mentioned elsewhere, it can be used to remove (not just replace) paths (but notably not tiles).

Ah. I guess despite the many hours I've played Factorio, I've never actually removed brick or concrete with anything other than a drone, so I've never tried to "mine" a path, so I didn't realize this was the mechanic. Then I agree, "replace" is not the usage they are going for. I still think that it is, even in the way Factorio's language is used, at best an odd use of terminology.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

It can also be used to remove any kind of floor tiling.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Chao
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chao »

Koub wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:06 pm
Has the problem of explaining how to remove. Mine at least implies (badly) the right click mechanic. "to remove" implies I could use it normally and it removes the floor tiling, which it technically does but only by then replacing it with the one you place.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Chao wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:14 pm
Koub wrote:
Has the problem of explaining how to remove. Mine at least implies (badly) the right click mechanic. "to remove" implies I could use it normally and it removes the floor tiling, which it technically does but only by then replacing it with the one you place.
Fair enough :). How about this :
It can also be used to remove any kind of floor tiling (Action : "Mine" floor while holding).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Chao
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chao »

Koub wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:25 pm
Chao wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:14 pm
Koub wrote:
It can also be used to remove any kind of floor tiling (Action : "Mine" floor while holding).
Definitely an improvement

Ultros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ultros »

Koub wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:25 pm
Agreed, something along the lines of this would certainly make more sense from a grammatical perspective. My initial take on the rephrasing viewtopic.php?p=428656#p428656 was rather similar.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Koub wrote:
Tiling makes me think of tiles and tiles can't be removed like paths.

Floor covering?

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

"Paving"/"pavement" seems like the best alternative so far.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Want something doing, best do it yourself.

any-kind-of-tile.png
any-kind-of-tile.png (60.27 KiB) Viewed 2461 times

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeanoa »

Maybe the problem is that floor tiles should not be used to mine floor tiles in the first place.
We have a pickaxe for that. It just needs a toggle to select floor tiles instead of entities build above them.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”