When emptying player inventory, delay emptying filtered slots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MagmaMcFry
Inserter
Inserter

When emptying player inventory, delay emptying filtered slots

Post by MagmaMcFry »

What ?
When CTRL+clicking on an empty slot in your player inventory to transfer everything to another inventory, items in filtered slots should be transferred only if nothing else would be transferred. Here's an image of what I mean.
Why ?
The point of being able to filter slots in the character inventory is to reserve inventory slots for things you always want to carry with you. Hence if you're using filtered slots, you (probably) don't want to dump items from those slots into any chests. With the proposed change, it would be very easy to transfer stuff between inventories quickly without either having to transfer every item type separately, or having to take back the extra items you dumped, or dumping your "reserved" items into another chest beforehand, or requiring logistics robots to come over and undo your "accidents" (only an option if you're dumping into a provider chest and your logistics requests match your filtered slots). All of these options seem inferior to the proposed change.

In 0.16, there was the alternative method of using your hotbar slots for items you want to keep, but this method doesn't work in 0.17 because of the hotbar changes.
Attachments
proposed_ctrl_click_change.png
proposed_ctrl_click_change.png (134.16 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
I don't visit the forum very often. If you want to contact me, message me on the mod portal for Factorissimo-related things, or on Discord.

MagmaMcFry
Inserter
Inserter

Re: When emptying player inventory, delay emptying filtered slots

Post by MagmaMcFry »

Now that the new character GUI is finished, I would like to bump this suggestion. The new personal logistics toggle partially obsoletes it, but there are still items I would like to carry on me at all times (such as upgrade planners, deconstruction planners, fuel and a car/train) without having to worry about dumping them into every chest I want to dump all other parts of my inventory into. This does not happen a lot when I play vanilla, but I have wanted this feature in several modded playthroughs.
I don't visit the forum very often. If you want to contact me, message me on the mod portal for Factorissimo-related things, or on Discord.

SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SupplyDepoo »

I'd say inserters & robots should also prefer to remove items from un-filtered slots first. I always have to put the filtered slots first in my cargo wagons, because otherwise the inserters that remove excess items (due to stack bonuses) cause these wasted slots.
wasted-slot-space.png
wasted-slot-space.png (28.42 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
Very minor issue of course, but it would just make more sense.

I support the original suggestion.

Taurondir
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Taurondir »

I have been playing on modded servers quite a bit and even though the inventory slots we have don't change, the VARIETY of items we can carry goes up a lot. In order to re-stock to go and do a "secondary thing" like add a bunch of solar panels, you might have to drop off a ton of stuff just to carry 20 slots in panels and accums etc etc, so you need to drop off other stuff.

The ability to keep the "filtered" items when doing a dull transfer - unless you say, do a second click - would be great.

I wanted to offer it a new suggestion, but since it's already been asked, I'm just adding to it.

It "feels" like a very simple thing to add, like, add a tick box in settings,so that the altered behavior is "optional".

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Even if I might not use it that much, the behavior makes intuitive sense. +1

Same with red slots on chests.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”