[0.17.xx] Toggle Network Bots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

KnightViper18
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.xx] Toggle Network Bots

Post by KnightViper18 »

How about the idea of having a toggle button that by default is on, and allows Construction bot's from the Network (nearby placed roboports) to be able to place any new ghosts that are put into the world. Once this is toggled off though, any newly places ghosts since the toggling of this feature, will not be able to be supplied the materials to build the ghosts by the Network bots. However, your own personal roboport/bots can fulfill these ghosts.

The purpose of this feature is to allow the player to control when they want their own bots to build vs the bots from the Network. I feel like a lot of times half of my blueprint is placed by my own bots, and the other half I have to wait while all the bots from the network deliver items from miles away. Note how I worded above that only newly placed ghosts since the toggling of Network bots off will be affected. This means that all other ghosts before this toggle can still have their orders fulfilled by the Network bots.

I would think that once the user turns the Network bots back on though, it would allow them to work on all ghosts again (the ones you placed while it was disabled are able to be placed by Network bots).

What are others thoughts on this? Am I missing something, such as there's already a better solution in-game that can be done? I'm sure theirs temporary solutions in game like remove all nearby roboports, but that's just annoying... plus can break the rest of your factory if something relies on bots.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.xx] Toggle Network Bots

Post by DaleStan »

My first thought is that it would be much easier, and therefore more likely to happen, if the setting affects all ghosts, not just newly placed ones. Making it affect only certain ghosts requires storing the network can/can't build state in every ghost.

My second thought is to wonder what your situation is here. It sounds like you can't place a blueprint and walk away, letting the network bots finish the construction whenever seems good to them. What sort of things do you need to do after placing a blueprint?

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.17.xx] Toggle Network Bots

Post by AngledLuffa »

An example of when this would be useful is when you have a large base with roboports to repair the outer wall, but not connected to the main base. If you work on an outpost or even just clear out a forest near the defensive wall, the construction bots in the area will pick stuff up and possibly have nowhere to put it. Turning them off would avoid some hassle.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”