bulk handcrafting

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: bulk handcrafting

Post by dog80 »

or is your main argument again that its wube implementation and therefore uncritizisable and therefore everyone is dumb who does so? ye that makes tons of sense

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Could you please chill a little ? You have no enemies here, we're all part of the same community, and this is a forum whose purpose is discussion and interaction. If you don't want people to discuss a suggestion of yours, don't post it on a forum. Also, please try not to multi-post several posts in a row, especially when just completing a sentence : there's an edit function that's designed for that. Once again, this is a forum, not an instant messaging app. Thank you for your comprehension.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

yes i understand koub and i appreciate your work here nevertheless

still this issue and how a common rule regards to critics in this game is not how i think it should be - the "do a mod" at least has already developed to some kind of meme, what leads to further understandment - though the "its wube implementation therefore it must be good" thing is not yet totally overcome... see it like this: you have the devs that build a spacerocket - then you have the guys that sit in it and shoot their asses up somewhere in the universe... now, when they say well there is a button that i have to press very often and there are buttons that i press rather less frequent, but they are much nearer than the ones i have to use often and i always have to stretch myself to reach the ones i need... ofcourse as an outstander you'd say - well the devs thought about it so it must be good and usefull, maybe even the stretching keeps you fit you know? what do i know when the devs did it like this it MUST BE GOOD... idk devs are replacable tbh the game is replacable its just a videogame, but players that play the game are not... like people who sit in the spacerocket and risk their lives, once you have blown some up nobody will sit in your rocket anymore...

i see top speedrunners making the same stupid mistake first queue up all poles then realize you need some now, then break the queue, then press singleclick multiple times, then queue up the rest... its not even much, its a stupid little thing. but what i want to push is the awareness of issues that small players like me bring to the game... that issues that noobs have are quite often the once that are most obvious, but mostly by players who are used to it overlooked and then they think, well its not so bad i can live with it, but plz bring some more superduper features out wube and make the game even so much greater...

also the last point is that this would take the requirement of the devs away giving them even more creative space, when they dont have to actually mass play the game and see how good it goes or what little things have to be changed for it to work fluently, this is the responsibility of the player to tell the devs and this should in no way be discouraged... --- i can write stupid small softmods where trees get replaced by powerpoles but i have no fking clue on how to develop such a huge game like this or even how to get anything written on the screen on c+ all i can do is play the game and say what buggers me - regards

9irngje9rjgrg.jpg
9irngje9rjgrg.jpg (53 KiB) Viewed 3665 times

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

To be fair, I always found the bulk hand crafting to be a bit annoying. No, I don't want 300 gears before a single assembler gets crafted. No, when I bulk craft green circuits I really want to use all my existing wire first instead of prioritizing all the plates. It's also a bit weird that the hand crafting queue is a magic inventory that can be used to store stuff.

I mean it's not a game ending annoyance but it is a valid suggestion to discuss.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Well despite I've reminded here that devs were not in favor of changing anything to handcrafting mechanics, I also voiced that I would have liked the bulk handcrafting to be different too. I just suggested it worked differently from your own suggested solution to the issue.

My suggestion was to not queue intermediaries, only the final product, and every time a final product wants to be crafted, the game queues any missing intermediary. This would be a good solution to the issue, and more elegant (I think) than to craft first a batch of 5 before crafting the remaining.

I'm not a Wube fanboy (well OK, I'm a fanboy overall, but I won't make the mistake to say that all the choices that were made by the devs are perfect and not subject to discussion), and I have a LOT of wishes for an even better game, most of them will probably never make it to the game though.

However, when the same topics come back again and again, I also add some context either by merging to older topics when possible, or by linking similar discussions. Also, when the devs have given a no answer, I tell it, so that people don't hope too much. I'm the messenger there, not the author.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

Dog, most people here are in agreement that we'd like to see some changes to handcrafting. Koub's suggestion for crafting intermediaries in real-time would be nice. I've agreed in the past with wanting the ability to rearrange the crafting queue. But I also understand and honestly agree with Wube's goal of having the game focused around automation. I support that vision, and so I want hand-crafting to be consistently de-emphasized. I've made previous suggestions for hand-crafting items to generate fatigue that builds up and starts to slow down crafting, that seems like a good (and obviously intentional) game mechanic as opposed to the current state of hand-crafting which looks unintentionally cumbersome. But... honestly the current approach works. It's very obvious pretty early on that you're not going to be able to hand-craft everything. The amount of resources it takes quickly becomes overwhelming.

TLDR: Would I like to see it changed? Yes. Do I consider it a massive deal if it doesn't? No.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

What disturbs me most about the current handcrafting system is that it can be exploited to circumvent inventory limitations, as demonstrated in this thread. This is because ingredients that are required for items in the handcrafting queue are not counted for the player's inventory limitations.

Therefore, if ingredients were removed from the player's inventory only when the player actually starts crafting the item, instead of already when he queues it, and if only one item were crafted at a time, then this exploit would be fixed.

For this reason, I am in favor of the crafting system being changed so that only one item is being crafted at once.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:20 pm
There are mods that will automatically craft items if nothing is in the queue and you are below a set amount for the item. Might be nicer to use.
Sounds like an idea from a genius. Sounds really handy! A handy mod that helps you handcraft? Now if I'm interested in finding this handy handcrafting mod, what would I search for? ;)
dog80 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:58 pm
please guys stay on topic and dont talk about mods that change the handcrafting into anything else, its fine the way it is, its just that intermediates are PRIORITIZED IN BULK and not ONE BY ONE production of queued items...

i know this will get a bit tricky to implement especially if intermediates are produced more than required for one product, but hey devs u got the money u got the time so ffs get it done...
I want to make suggestions, but I got links to mods!! :(
It's a sticky for a reason...
dog80 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:32 pm
its quite asounding how most forum users react to a simple feature suggestion
> make a mod and shut up ( making mods is obviously very easy and a quick thing to do so everyone can play their own game ) ( mem i play multiplayer herp derp )
You don't have to make the perfect mod. It has already been written. And it works in multiplayer.
dog80 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:22 pm
i can write stupid small softmods where trees get replaced by powerpoles but i have no fking clue on how to develop such a huge game like this or even how to get anything written on the screen on c+ all i can do is play the game and say what buggers me - regards
That sounds like an amazing mod idea. Are you planning on releasing this mod or do I have to write it? :)

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

dog80 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:22 pm
i can write stupid small softmods where trees get replaced by powerpoles
I went ahead and made it since you didn't. You can't deconstruct the generated forest of poles with a deconstruction planner though and I don't know how to fix it while maintaining the poles ability to work as poles (wires connect and they get a supply area). I can post it here though. Maybe someone else can fix the decon planner issue for me :)

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

[0.0.1] ElectricForest [ALPHA TEST] - Electric Poles instead of trees
Come test a genius mod idea by the mighty dog80 himself! Free of charge!

XaLpHa89
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.18.12] Order of handcrafted items

Post by XaLpHa89 »

In Factorio is time an important factor? I think many agree. Especially at the beginning, I always have to find that the behavior when building a complete stack by hand is a bit annoying. It would be nice if the crafting of items with SHIFT worked like in the individual creation. Unless there are reasons against it?
20200315071820_1.jpg
20200315071820_1.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 3350 times
20200315071813_1.jpg
20200315071813_1.jpg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 3350 times
Last edited by XaLpHa89 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.18.12] Behavior of handcrafted items

Post by Deadlock989 »

What?

XaLpHa89
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XaLpHa89 »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:57 am
What?
If an item stack is ordered with the SHIFT key, all the components required first are created, only then is the main item created. It would be nicer if the processing was done in a different order.
  • Right now: gear, gear, gear ... bottle, bottle, bottle
  • It would be better: gear, bottle, gear, bottle, gear, bottle ...

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

"Nicer" in the sense that it might queue up a thousand things?

If you want things queued up so they produce individual recipe products one after the other, you have the option to queue up individual recipe products one after the other.

XaLpHa89
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XaLpHa89 »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:30 am
"Nicer" in the sense that it might queue up a thousand things?

If you want things queued up so they produce individual recipe products one after the other, you have the option to queue up individual recipe products one after the other.
The order should remain grouped. Otherwise, yes, I agree with you that it would explode the queue.

My finger hurts sometime when I want to craft an item a hundred times.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.18.12] Order of handcrafted items

Post by conn11 »

Maybe because handcrafting isn’t the most feasible way of doing things. It’s annoying and slow, especially for a bulk of items. Therefore encouraging players to use at least semiautomatic (maybe still handfed) setups early one. IMO it works as intended.

Alterations should remain in mod territory:
examplaratory not changing the crafting order, but the time it takes.
Last edited by conn11 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Another thing I find annoying is that if I start to craft 1000 red science packs and then abort I'm left with all the gears already created. Probably most of them on the ground. It's totally unclear that aborting red science packs suddenly puts gears in your inventory, too.

If the queue would show gears (1000) and red science packs (1000) initially and then alternate building them then aborting a build would leave fewer intermediate items around and it would be clearer what amount of source materials are put back into the inventory.

Note: In the queue there should be an indication that gears are an intermediary of the red science packs. Maybe by adding a border around each group:
queue.png
queue.png (22.49 KiB) Viewed 3073 times

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bormand »

mrvn wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:38 pm
a border around each group
It would be hard to do for multiline recipes.

Maybe just draw a little border around items that you are queued manually? All intermediates are always to the left of it, so it's not hard to see which items would be cancelled.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bormand wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:21 am
mrvn wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:38 pm
a border around each group
It would be hard to do for multiline recipes.

Maybe just draw a little border around items that you are queued manually? All intermediates are always to the left of it, so it's not hard to see which items would be cancelled.
Why would it be hard? When you click on something all the crafts added to the queue for that action are grouped into a box. Next time you click you get a second box.

And what is hard to see is that by canceling a ion gear wheel you will be canceling the rocket silo 6 rows down.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”