Iron ore should smelt to Iron ingots, etc.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Iron ore should smelt to Iron ingots, etc.

Post by MiniHerc »

I've always thought it a bit odd that iron ore smelts directly to iron plates, iron plates smelt directly to steel plates, iron plates craft into iron gears, etc. I propose a restructuring to this.

Iron Ore should smelt to Iron Ingots. Copper ore should smelt to Copper Ingots, which are then extruded in an Assembler to Copper Wire.
Iron Ingots should be craftable via assembler into Iron Plates, Iron Gears, and Iron Sticks.
Iron Ingots should need a special Blast Furnace with Coal to make Steel Ingots. Steel Ingots should need an assembler to become Steel Plates.

What do you think? And yes, I've been playing Satisfactory a lot lately.

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Iron ore should smelt to Iron ingots, etc.

Post by Xeorm »

Nah. Plates as the intermediate product instead of ingots fits a little better with representing what they are. It's not perfect either way, but it works better I think. Plates are a little bit further along in the processing tree compared to ingots in what they represent and the system doesn't make complete sense in any regard. There's obviously zero way you'd make an electronic circuit out of iron and copper as an example. And it's ok to have that in the base game.

Check out Angel's mods for an ingot based system if you want.

Also: iron -> steel requiring coal is just wrong. Blast furnaces use coke for fuel because it's cheap and easy to convert into heat. You can use electricity instead, but it's more expensive.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

I think there's a good argument for that, and the A-B-Py-X-etc mods are for people persuaded by it.

I think the question has always been what players find rewarding. I'm a design-puzzle guy, I don't get fascinated by combat so I take the research-mil-until-it's-roflstomp-time route with biters, when I bother playing with biters at all, I like making sushi-belt controllers and train schedulers and unreasonably ratcheting UPS costs ever farther down.

I can _see_ the fascination in e.g. the Seablock pack but I don't really feel it, adding the reprocessing loops and dependencies to the production chains, making opportunity cost tradeoffs a vital concern, is more than I want. It gets in the way, the same way "infinite repeating decimals" and having to design for maintenance access get in the way of the power-fantasists' enjoyment. So Wube have been steadily removing impediments, not adding them. Splitters used to be fascinating, but the intricacy of the old behavior was seen as an impediment, so it's gone. Getting the last 10% performance out of max-boost assemblers used to be fascinating, but the intricacy was seen as an impediment, so it's gone. Unfortunately for those who loved the puzzles, who saw them as the point of the game rather than impediments, I think those can't be modded back in.

What you're after still can be, and has been, there's lots of mods for that. But it'll frustrate the people who want to reduce the effort between imagination and reward. And here's where I gain some sympathy for the people who didn't like having to wire up their assembler and splitter contraptions to get maximum throughput: it turns out I don't want to have to do the extra ingot step to get to the rest of the production chain. I just wish the stuff I do still want could still be had via mods.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Note that you should in theory be able to run a "vanilla" version of Angels' Refining/Smelting, with just vanilla ores :
viewtopic.php?p=410580#p410580
(not sure how complex it gets since Petrochem is also a requirement... hopefully mostly for stuff like oxygen for the high tiers of steel smelting ?)
Maybe ask Angel to give the "vanilla" mode some love too?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”