New Defenses

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Jcewazhere
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

New Defenses

Post by Jcewazhere »

Two types of turret are not enough, I want an entire pantheon of palisade protection.

Sniper turret - uses lots of ammo*, long range (equal to a large worm), ignores armor**, high base damage, slowest rate of fire.

Shotgun turret - uses average amounts of ammo, short range, wide spread, slow rate of fire . Unlike the player's shotgun the turret doesn't damage friendlies.

Gauss Turret - Energy based sniper turret.

Multiplas - Energy based shotgun turret.

Tesla - Does constant light damage to all mobs in its smallish radius, maybe 5 tiles. Uses energy.

Typhoon - Ammo based tesla. High ammo use.

Flamethrower turret - higher range than the player's flamethrower. Piped directly in to the light fuel supply. Or supply it with the flamethrower fuel cans.

Water canon - No damage, slows large biters and pushes back small and medium ones. One offshore pump can supply 5 of them.

*Instead of using the same ammo the player uses I suggest a general ammo box that contains the material needed for internal assembly of ammo. So the sniper turret might use 1/4th of a box per shot while the vanilla turret uses 1/10th.

**Ignores general damage reduction and energy specific, but only a portion of bullet specific armor. The Gauss turret ignores the bullet specific armor and general armor but only some of the energy specific armor.

Turret creep is already viable, having turrets with longer rang just makes it easier. If you don't like the tactic just don't use it.

Speaking of palisades, why do we not have wooden walls for the early game? Or just so we have a use for all the wood we get.

Spike pit traps that slowly fill with mobs and have to be rebuilt would be fun. Large biters could ignore them, three medium biters or 10 small biters would fill one pit.

Why not add sharp spikes to the outer layer of walls? Wood iron and steel varieties. Or run an electric charge through wires strung along the outside. A use for the extra bits of copper wire that somehow end up in your inventory. You'd need to repair the spikes and wires along with the walls as they get used.

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: New Defenses

Post by Shaymes »

i had an experimental mod where i made different turrets like rocket and flamethrower but there was a problem with balancing

rocketturrets was overpowerd,
and flamethrower turrets destroyed own walls
had no idea to fix this
Mining Drill Operator

PharAway
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PharAway »

Jcewazhere wrote:Two types of turret are not enough, I want an entire pantheon of palisade protection.

Sniper turret - uses lots of ammo*, long range (equal to a large worm), ignores armor**, high base damage, slowest rate of fire.

Shotgun turret - uses average amounts of ammo, short range, wide spread, slow rate of fire . Unlike the player's shotgun the turret doesn't damage friendlies.

Gauss Turret - Energy based sniper turret.

Multiplas - Energy based shotgun turret.

Tesla - Does constant light damage to all mobs in its smallish radius, maybe 5 tiles. Uses energy.

Typhoon - Ammo based tesla. High ammo use.

Flamethrower turret - higher range than the player's flamethrower. Piped directly in to the light fuel supply. Or supply it with the flamethrower fuel cans.

Water canon - No damage, slows large biters and pushes back small and medium ones. One offshore pump can supply 5 of them.

*Instead of using the same ammo the player uses I suggest a general ammo box that contains the material needed for internal assembly of ammo. So the sniper turret might use 1/4th of a box per shot while the vanilla turret uses 1/10th.

**Ignores general damage reduction and energy specific, but only a portion of bullet specific armor. The Gauss turret ignores the bullet specific armor and general armor but only some of the energy specific armor.

Turret creep is already viable, having turrets with longer rang just makes it easier. If you don't like the tactic just don't use it.

Speaking of palisades, why do we not have wooden walls for the early game? Or just so we have a use for all the wood we get.

Spike pit traps that slowly fill with mobs and have to be rebuilt would be fun. Large biters could ignore them, three medium biters or 10 small biters would fill one pit.

Why not add sharp spikes to the outer layer of walls? Wood iron and steel varieties. Or run an electric charge through wires strung along the outside. A use for the extra bits of copper wire that somehow end up in your inventory. You'd need to repair the spikes and wires along with the walls as they get used.

I like the idea but one thing that I'm afraid it would do is turn factorio into a tower defense game (is it already? albeit a larger base). However the turret ideas are pretty cool.

Also, my twitter handle is @PharAway05

Check us out on face book at Phar Away Gaming

fluffy_5432
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fluffy_5432 »

Shaymes wrote:rocketturrets was overpowerd
Aren't rockets expensive?
Shaymes wrote:flamethrower turrets destroyed own walls
Maybe this should be a feature? Perhaps walls and fire turrets could have high resistance to fire, but if they're firing around other buildings it's fair to cause damage.

Or perhaps they could be made to only fire at a certain angle.

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shaymes »

if you like i can restart the modding work on turrets but a tutorial or one ppl that can make sprites for new turrets will be nice just recolor the both turret types are boring :)
Mining Drill Operator

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”