pump to fluid wagon connection from the end

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

pump to fluid wagon connection from the end

Post by sparr »

TL;DR
In addition to connecting from the sides, a pump should be able to connect to a fluid wagon from the front/back when the wagon is at the end of a dead end track.

What ?
factorio_pump_end_idea.png
factorio_pump_end_idea.png (599.4 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
I would like for the pump shown on the left here to be able to connect to the fluid wagon.
Why ?
It allows for more creative design of rail stations and fluid processing facilities.

n7m6e7
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: pump to fluid wagon connection from the end

Post by n7m6e7 »

I don't exactly see how this can be used.

Since trains cant "push" wagons, how would you get a fluid wagon to the edge of a dead end?

I mean, you can build the wagon at the end, then send it off, but that limits it to a manual use.
There are no absolutes. I live knowing I could always be wrong, but with confidence that I could also be right.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

A fluid wagon followed by a pair of locomotives, one facing each way, should be able to 'push' a fluid wagon to this spot, and then pull it away without issue. With that said... I'm not sold on the usability of this feature. It's limited to a single fluid wagon at the very end of a track.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Technically, this feature is better to be supported, but I don't want devs to waste time on it.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

n7m6e7 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:16 pm
Since trains cant "push" wagons, how would you get a fluid wagon to the edge of a dead end?
Trains can push wagons just fine.

n7m6e7
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by n7m6e7 »

I was suprisingly unaware that trains could push XD

Mostly because its never occurred to me to make a train like

[Wagon] <engine] [engine>

And at that point, is there any way to ensure the wagon always docks toward the correct side? (Aside from having it go between only 2 points. )
There are no absolutes. I live knowing I could always be wrong, but with confidence that I could also be right.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

n7m6e7 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:15 am
I was suprisingly unaware that trains could push XD

Mostly because its never occurred to me to make a train like

[Wagon] <engine] [engine>

And at that point, is there any way to ensure the wagon always docks toward the correct side? (Aside from having it go between only 2 points. )
Rail network construction methodology can prevent trains from spontaneously turning around. It's just a matter of building your network and your stops right. With that said... building such stops would IMO be kind of a pain. Leadraven has the same attitude as myself. It's a logical feature... but of such massively limited use and of such massive pain to be able to make use of that I just... I don't want developer time wasted on it. Their call though.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”