Reset Train Stop name when copy pasting, similar to Blueprints

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

terronium
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by terronium »

TL;DR

What ?
When a train stop is pasted from a blueprint it gets a random name but when it is pasted using copy paste it retains the name of the source station. The request it to make the copy paste behavior same as the blueprint behavior to randomize the name.

Why ?
A common scenario is to use the design of the stations for other purposes, for example an iron ore station can be copied next to it for copper ore in the smelting area. If the paste fits correctly within the existing rail network it would immediately activate the train stop and send a iron ore train from the stackers or other stops to unload iron ore there even though the players intention is copper ore. It doesnt give player the time to correct the situation specially if there are trains waiting in stackers. while if you randomize it and if the player intends the station for the same purpose its very simple to set the same name explicitly (shift - Rt click, Shift Lt click). It will avoid a lot of accidental trains going to wrong places because of pasted train stops.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Reset Train Stop name when copy pasting, similar to Blueprints

Post by Tekillaa »

Hi!

I just can agree, sometimes i use the copy paste from a station to an another for another type of ore, and a train come make the deposit during construction or lookin for a way to come in station not for them xD, or maybe like suffix or prefix to keep part of the name can be good too? (like the copy paste of a same name file on windows)

thank you for making the post
It should be add in the game: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67650 :)

BaggyK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BaggyK »

Hold shift down when copying, it will then allow you to edit the copy as if it was a blueprint, and default to not copying the station name.

terronium
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by terronium »

@BaggyK yes but thats a workaround, not the correct behavior. It diminishes the purpose of copy paste tool as a quick solution to copy things if i have to open the edit window without needing any edit.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

terronium wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:37 am
@BaggyK yes but thats a workaround, not the correct behavior. It diminishes the purpose of copy paste tool as a quick solution to copy things if i have to open the edit window without needing any edit.
Holding shift allows you to do what you want without removing the current functionality.

Removing the current functionality does not allow me to copy a station and keep the name.

urza99814
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by urza99814 »

Personally I'd prefer if blueprints were changed to keep the station name by default. I can understand giving random names when there's no hint about what a station is for, but I'd much rather have to rename "iron mine" to "copper mine" rather than having to retype the whole thing or having a bunch of random station names cluttering up the list every time I blueprint an intake area. I'm always forgetting to hit that checkbox because it's the only thing blueprints refuse to copy by default... And it makes about as much sense as if they didn't copy assembler recipes...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”