0.17 feedback: The new UI of Controls settings is inefficiency

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

muink
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

0.17 feedback: The new UI of Controls settings is inefficiency

Post by muink »

In 0.16, Controls settings have clear separate-pages and a single page has a good amount of information
I can concentrate on reading all the hotkeys on one page without having to drag the scrollbar.

But in 0.17, I spent too much time on 'slide back and forth scrollbar' and 'folding page' to reading these information that I could easily get (just need by 'switch page') in the past.

The target of the factory is to increase efficiency and free your hands.
But the new UI requires me to exercise my hands more diligently to browse the information that I only need to read completely on one page in the past, This efficiency reduction is painful.

So, I hope re-add traditional separate-pages support to Controls settings.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: 0.17 feedback: The new UI of Controls settings is inefficiency

Post by AileTheAlien »

Yes, please use tabs for different sections of settings, not these in-place folding-sections. This type of folding-section UI is very useful in something like a text-editor / IDE, when you're looking at blocks and sub-blocks of code, but doesn't provide any benefit on settings-pages. I'd also like to point out that this folding-section behaviour is actually worse, if you're trying to make it easy for players to navigate the different sections of settings.

The tabs on the mod settings for example, are evenly spaced short distances, and large targets - both good things for this UI.
tabs

The controls-settings sections on the other hand are small targets (only the little arrow-box on the side can be clicked), with uneven spacing.
expanding sections

muink
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: 0.17 feedback: The new UI of Controls settings is inefficiency

Post by muink »

Yes, I agree with this.
And even with the folding, the game does not provide the function of one-time folding pages.
and not further provide a function of folding each module page

This is my improvement idea :idea: But still the traditional interface is highly efficient, hope to add it back.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”