Blueprints, Upgrade Planners, and Fast Replace

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Kirona
Inserter
Inserter

Blueprints, Upgrade Planners, and Fast Replace

Post by Kirona »

Blueprints have the ability to have an Upgrade Planner applied to them to edit the contents en masse, which is pretty cool. But let's say you only want to change part of that blueprint's contents, for example one that has 50 yellow belts, and you want to replace 20 of them with red. Currently, you'd need to stamp the blueprint down, then replace the relevant bits and make a new blueprint. It'd be neat to be able to actually draw a box onto the blueprint with an upgrade planner in order to edit things part by part.

I also ran into a case where, when I made a bunch of modular, layerable train track tiles, there was one spot where I may or may not need a signal depending on what level of development was finished. That's all well and good, but then at a higher complexity point, that signal needs to be replaced with a chain signal. Despite being able to fast-replace one with the other manually, and despite the Upgrade Planner making it very clear that bots can fast-replace things if told to, it's impossible to place a blueprint of a chain signal over a normal signal and have bots swap them out. This is also true of any other fast-replaceable item - blueprints can't designate any of these changes.

For the example above with a partially-upgraded blueprint, this would mean that, if you'd USED that blueprint with 50 yellow belts, you can't use the manually updated blueprint to upgrade the existing construction. You have to either go in and manually do so with an upgrade planner over and over again, or deconstruct and reconstruct everything.

Basically, I'd like to be able to use the Upgrade Planner's box designator inside blueprints, and I'd like blueprints to be able to designate "Upgrade Planner" markers on existing construction, if such a designation would be valid using an actual Upgrade Planner.

Of course, if there's a mod that does this, I'd love to hear about that too :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”