Default Train waiting condition for the new temporary Station

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Default Train waiting condition for the new temporary Station

Post by Amarula »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:02 am
I have a blueprint for an LTN depot with trains. I can place it, the trains get build, they get fuel and everything is ready. Then I have to click at every single train to open the train dialog, set it to automatic and close the dialog. Repeat for next train. Wait, which one is the next train? Did I miss one? The blueprint has all trains at their station so when set to automatic they don't move. No way to tell which train is automatic and which is not. With 16 trains it's hard to keep track.
This is one use case where the train system GUI (when you click on the train in the minimap and get a view of all your trains) is helpful: all the trains that are on automatic show their schedules; all the trains that are on manual simply show "manual." And you simply click on the train in the GUI to open the individual train control GUI to switch back to automatic. With 200+ trains it is more work, but it is still more reliable than searching for trains on the map.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by tehfreek »

I would like to see a Lua event added that is called whenever a temporary stop is added. The current set of conditions (defaulting to empty), the train, and the player/character caller are passed to the event handler, which in turn returns a desired set of conditions for the stop. If the set is empty then the game will fall back on the default of waiting 5s. This will allow mods to tweak the conditions based on the train's capabilities, e.g. adding "robots not deployed" if it has roboports from, say, Bob's Logistics.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

I would also like to see that you can choose stations as temporary stops, so that the train alligns with the station.
Also when the station is disabled; you might have set a condition in a wrong way and you can only fix it by going there, but the station is off.

AK90
Inserter
Inserter

Changing the default conditions of train Ctrl + L click (Temp stop)

Post by AK90 »

TL;DR
Changing the default condition that is set on a train when using the Ctrl + Left click to call a train to a temporary stop.

What ?
Have an option somewhere in the settings to allow us to change the default condition to the temporary train stop (Ctrl + Left click).
I quite often use the temporary train stop function but unless you are looking at the train when it arrives it most likely just goes to the next stop after 5sec.
This is really annoying...
Why ?
Because calling a train to a temporary stop only to have is disappear 5 seconds later is just plain stupid, and irritating for that matter.
Main Rig
| i7 4790k @4.6Ghz 1.26v | 16GB RAM | MSI 2070 Super VENTUS OC | Custom water cooling | Fractal 1000W PSU | 3 24" monitors |
Server
| Dual X5670 Xeon | 16GB RAM | Several TB of HDD | |

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread on the same topic.
Well actually many threads that try to address the issue. Also some mods :
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/QoL-TempStations
some others here :
viewtopic.php?p=480664#p480664
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Changing the default conditions of train Ctrl + L click (Temp stop)

Post by Amarula »

AK90 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:05 pm
I quite often use the temporary train stop function but unless you are looking at the train when it arrives it most likely just goes to the next stop after 5sec.
I agree that more options/control would be nice to have. In the mean time, when I create a temporary stop, I add a wait condition, either passenger present if I am calling a train, or passenger not present if I am already in the train, then remove the default 5 second wait. That way the train gets to the stop and waits for me. It isn't perfect, but it is better than realizing the train went on without me :roll:
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I don't really get why people are choosing a wait condition when they complain about it... or feel the need to identify that you are adding a "temporary" stop on the train's schedule and to be able to define default conditions.

After have been annoyed myself with missing my train because of the wait condition, instead I chose to use "Circuit Condition __ > 0". It's sort-of-a manual without needing to select manual as you arrive at your destination. Here are the benefits to doing this:
- The train waits for you. It isn't going anywhere without you telling it to go somewhere else. I queue my stations on the schedule then when I want to go somewhere I just get on and hit the play button next to the station I want to go to.
- The train parks at the station. For those stations that count whenever a train is at the station (and what train it is by ID), it is essential that the train be on automatic and be stopped precisely by its schedule.
- I've got an artillery wagon and I want it to exhaust all of its ammo (or run out of targets) while I'm stopped.
- I've got cargo wagon and want stations that measure the train contents. (This doesn't work when train is in manual mode)
- Have a "go-to" condition for temporary stops. After adding the station in the schedule, only one condition to add.
- No need for a big automatic/manual switch. Get on the train, go get a coffee while you are being shuttled, knowing that if you arrive before you get back to the keyboard the train won't go anywhere else.
- Whenever I'm far away from the nearest station and that station is far away from the train; I can configure the train to move to the station while I'm running back, if it arrives before I get there it'll wait for me, no need to go to the station then wait for the train to arrive either.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”