Wagon management

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

gendalf
Inserter
Inserter

Wagon management

Post by gendalf »

Attach/detouch wagons based on conditions, like real world. For example if iron ore wagon can't unload in 5 minutes the train will de-touch it and attach an empty wagon elsewhere, a tug train will move the filled wagon to a wagon holding station.. etc

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Wagon management

Post by Serenity »

In real life that's done because locomotives are expensive, but wagons are cheap. So you'd rather move the locomotive around instead of having one on every parked train. It would be nice to watch, but that cost rationale doesn't exist in Factorio.

gendalf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gendalf »

Serenity, factorio doesn't have to be efficient, this is a game, it has to be fun, otherwise there's no point in using trains or consumables to begin with. Just use robots and solar panels. I've already talked on about this back when I suggested adding more types of energy generation and storage.

Pat4yczek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pat4yczek »

For now only can use mods, if only exist some, hope if this solution going to popular in community, gonna implement in futhure versions...

What you think about that, if they add upgrade planner, they should make shedule blueprint?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

The simpler solution is to disable the station when it can't buffer a full wagons worth of items. That way no train will ever get stuck and other stations with the same name get the train instead.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

The following mod allows for coupling and decoupling of individual train wagons:

viewtopic.php?f=190&t=42162 [MOD 0.14] Train Coupler

This mod seems to have been updated for version 0.16 (but not 0.17), as I have pointed out at the end of that thread.

However, I'm not sure if this mod supports conditional coupling/decoupling. I guess this would be best implemented as conditional train orders, which already has several suggestion threads. Here is one of these threads, which contains further links:

viewtopic.php?t=64362 Dynamic train schedule

Also, here is another interesting thread on conditional train orders:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49214 Train Entry-Condition

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”