[0.17] Make Pipette also copy recipe

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17] Make Pipette also copy recipe

Post by burninghey »

Pipette should copy current recipe as well

It would be super nice if pipette'ing assembling machines would actually maintain the recipe as well, like a blueprint does - especially in Ghost Mode.

hackamod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17] Make Pipette also copy recipe

Post by hackamod »

+1
It is like 2 trips every time

*edit* .... probably only in ghost mode though... I do not expect (nor would I want) the recipe to be carried over when placing buildings, only ghosts.

Why?
This would make a better way to work on blueprints, leaving the recipe in the ghost is a quick reminder of what each building is doing as you work.
(working in ghost mode for super quick delete and super reach over map view) The only thing missing is the recipes

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I disagree on this one. Pipette gets the assembling machine without recipe, copy-paste copies the assembling machine with the recipe. Two different outcomes but equally useful depending on the situation.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

hackamod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hackamod »

Koub wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:35 pm
Two different outcomes but equally useful depending on the situation.
I can buy that, but I can not think of a use case when using the pipette would cause an issue by bringing the recipe.
I only see a faster way to work with ghosts over the map ... giving me better odds to get it right before a bot gets to it lol

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

hackamod wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:43 pm
I can buy that, but I can not think of a use case when using the pipette would cause an issue by bringing the recipe.
What about a situation where you wanted that level assembler in hand for a different recipe, and that was the fastest way to get it? Doesn't cause an "issue", no, but now you need to clear the recipe on the resulting assembler, which you can't do if it's a ghost.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

If you want a ghost with a recipe set to match something else, that's exactly what Ctrl-C Ctrl-V is for. Just select the one assembler and paste it all you want.

hackamod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hackamod »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:29 pm
What about a situation where you wanted that level assembler in hand for a different recipe, and that was the fastest way to get it? Doesn't cause an "issue", no, but now you need to clear the recipe on the resulting assembler, which you can't do if it's a ghost.
If you grab a nearby assembly machine because it is fastest, and it has no recipe, you still have to set the desired recipe, it would not cause any extra issue if it had the wrong recipe to begin with. You only stand the chance to gain grabbing the correct recipe time to time.... and stand to lose nothing. If you want a no-recipe version, simply use the hotbar or inventory and you got it... the idea of the pipette is to snag something more useful than the hotbar has to offer.
robot256 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:07 pm
If you want a ghost with a recipe set to match something else, that's exactly what Ctrl-C Ctrl-V is for. Just select the one assembler and paste it all you want.
The entire reason behind this is to avoid using Ctrl-C Ctrl-V.... as that limited history gets cleared as you copy new stuff.....and we all know how one distraction leads to another, and by time you get back to where you were...... you have no paste history left for your build.

Again I say, something to gain from multiple angles, and nothing lost.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

hackamod wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:12 pm
I’m not going to bother commenting on the whole post. I’m just going to say that some of us disagree on what is gained and lost.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

hackamod wrote:
robot256 wrote:
The entire reason behind this is to avoid using Ctrl-C Ctrl-V.... as that limited history gets cleared as you copy new stuff.....and we all know how one distraction leads to another, and by time you get back to where you were...... you have no paste history left for your build.
If you copied something important and realize you are not ready to paste it yet, you can scroll back in your history and save it as a blueprint.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

hackamod wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:12 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:29 pm
If you grab a nearby assembly machine because it is fastest, and it has no recipe, you still have to set the desired recipe, it would not cause any extra issue if it had the wrong recipe to begin with. You only stand the chance to gain grabbing the correct recipe time to time.... and stand to lose nothing. If you want a no-recipe version, simply use the hotbar or inventory and you got it... the idea of the pipette is to snag something more useful than the hotbar has to offer.
robot256 wrote:

It can cause issues, if you copy the wrong recipe, if (once built) it starts loading wrong resources and/or crafts unwanted stuff. Can get quite messy and it is not easy to reset the correct or an empty recipe on a ghost. You basically have to pick it from inventory in this case, which makes it inconsistent.

The copy paste history is limited, but its quite easy to add a blueprint, which should be saved, to a blueprint book or inventory. I always have link of my blueprint book, which exists in library, on the task bar. If I have a blueprint to save in my hand, I right-click on the booklink and can insert it there.

hackamod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hackamod »

jodokus31 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:53 pm
It can cause issues, if you copy the wrong recipe, if (once built) it starts loading wrong resources and/or crafts unwanted stuff. Can get quite messy and it is not easy to reset the correct or an empty recipe on a ghost. You basically have to pick it from inventory in this case, which makes it inconsistent.

The copy paste history is limited, but its quite easy to add a blueprint, which should be saved, to a blueprint book or inventory. I always have link of my blueprint book, which exists in library, on the task bar. If I have a blueprint to save in my hand, I right-click on the booklink and can insert it there.
If you copied the wrong recipe and left it that way, then that is a player mistake and not a game problem.
Walking away without setting the desired recipe leaves you with 0 desired products whether it had the wrong recipe or no recipe.
The player's mistake...

Again, picking a wrong recipe on a ghost is no worse than picking no recipe on a ghost. You can not set the desired recipe in either case.

Adding a blueprint requires inventory space, which is also limited and requires deleting later. Far too long term for a quick grab. Speed is the idea here.

Currently the only way to get a desired recipe is to cause damage to the copy history or pollute the inventory.
There are currently multiple ways to get a ghost with no recipe, an item in inventory, a hotbar slot, and the pipette.
This suggestion is to modify one of the 3 to fill the void, which leaves no other void

hackamod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hackamod »

It seems too many people are just used to the way it works.. Perhaps instead Shift-Q can copy with the recipe and Q leave as is

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

hackamod wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:47 pm
jodokus31 wrote:

If you copied the wrong recipe and left it that way, then that is a player mistake and not a game problem.
Walking away without setting the desired recipe leaves you with 0 desired products whether it had the wrong recipe or no recipe.
The player's mistake...

(1) Again, picking a wrong recipe on a ghost is no worse than picking no recipe on a ghost. You can not set the desired recipe in either case.

(2) Adding a blueprint requires inventory space, which is also limited and requires deleting later. Far too long term for a quick grab. Speed is the idea here.

Currently the only way to get a desired recipe is to cause damage to the copy history or pollute the inventory.
There are currently multiple ways to get a ghost with no recipe, an item in inventory, a hotbar slot, and the pipette.
This suggestion is to modify one of the 3 to fill the void, which leaves no other void
added the numbers:
to (1) I explained in my post before, why it can be worse to have wrong recipe set. Also, it's sometimes better to have system, which doesn't run at all than a wrong system, which looks like its working at glance.
Note: It's not always a problem to have the wrong recipe set, I just said, there are cases, where it is worse. (There are also cases, where it is better of course, but nothing, which can't be achieved via copy/paste)

to (2) The blueprints in blueprint library ("Game blueprints") does not require space in inventory.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Blueprint_library

There is no void. Ctrl+C/V works just fine.
An additional shortcut could be possible, though. But I hear already the arguments, that new shortcuts are bloating the interface etc.
Maybe a mod can do it?

hackamod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hackamod »

jodokus31 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 10:45 am
to (1) I explained in my post before, why it can be worse to have wrong recipe set.

I just said, there are cases, where it is worse.
Again as I explained, if a player leaves a bad recipe or no recipe, that is a player mistake not a broken GUI. And this is dodging the fact that there are still at least 2 other ways to complete the task with no recipe.
jodokus31 wrote:
Also, it's sometimes better to have system, which doesn't run at all than a wrong system, which looks like its working at glance.
The recipe is clearly visible upon paste. And my eyes are no doubt some of the worst.
jodokus31 wrote:
to (2) The blueprints in blueprint library ("Game blueprints") does not require space in inventory.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Blueprint_library
I would direct you to play the game yourself and find out that if you do not specifically open the blueprint library, and pollute that inventory (which again is against what I want, and one of the reasons for this request), that the newly created blueprint does in fact by default land in your inventory. Which again, we are trying to use the pipette, to avoid inventory clutter, not clutter a different inventory with things to delete later.[/quote]
jodokus31 wrote:
There is currently no way to quick copy an item with a recipe that does not pollute your inventory or bump your copy-paste history. I refer to this fact as a void.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

hackamod wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 10:39 pm
I would direct you to play the game yourself and find out that if you do not specifically open the blueprint library, and pollute that inventory (which again is against what I want, and one of the reasons for this request), that the newly created blueprint does in fact by default land in your inventory.
Actually, by default, ctrl+c creates a blueprint that exists only in your hand, so performing any other action that is not then trying to place this blueprint somewhere will result in its destruction. It needn’t pollute any inventory if you don’t want it to. This is identical behavior to the proposed change to pipette/pipette alt mode.
hackamod wrote:
jodokus31 wrote:
There is currently no way to quick copy an item with a recipe that does not pollute your inventory or bump your copy-paste history. I refer to this fact as a void.
The fact that continuing to use ctrl+c bumps its history should not be a reason to change pipette/add an alt mode to pipette that does the same exact thing.

Edit: I should add in here, that if preservation and control over the ctrl+c history is that important to you, a blueprint book is exactly the tool that should be used. The bps you need to keep, put in the book. Keeps your main inventory and the bp library uncluttered. As some of these bps are no longer needed, you can delete them.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

hackamod wrote:
I would direct you to play the game yourself and find out that if you do not specifically open the blueprint library, and pollute that inventory (which again is against what I want, and one of the reasons for this request), that the newly created blueprint does in fact by default land in your inventory. Which again, we are trying to use the pipette, to avoid inventory clutter, not clutter a different inventory with things to delete later.
I already explained, how I add blueprints to the book in library without using inventory and without open the library with B:
jodokus31 wrote:

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Just to add some things...
hackamod wrote:
jodokus31 wrote:
to (1) I explained in my post before, why it can be worse to have wrong recipe set.
I just said, there are cases, where it is worse.
Again as I explained, if a player leaves a bad recipe or no recipe, that is a player mistake not a broken GUI. And this is dodging the fact that there are still at least 2 other ways to complete the task with no recipe.
That's true, 2 other ways exist. grab from inventory or hotbar. But, the pipette approach was exactly there, to don't have to put every item on the hotbar or search from inventory. The problem is IMO, that the pipette function would not be consistent anymore, at least I would expect to always pipette the item including the settings, not only assemblers, f.e. inserters, splitters,. Its maybe also a subjective thing and what you got used to.
hackamod wrote:
jodokus31 wrote:
Actually, you can pipette an assembler and place it (not a ghost) and grab the recipe via Shift-Right click and paste Shfit-Left click.
Otherwise yes, under these conditions it's not possible to don't pollute the copy-paste history. Inventory is hopefully dispelled.
But I don't see it as void, because I'm missing nothing.

Maybe they could change it, that single item blueprints are not stored in copy/paste history. But that's probably also quite weird.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hint: Please avoid double posting. You can edit your post afterwardsor plan the initial replies a bit more. :)

PS: just a hint not only to you, jodokus. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I don't support the suggestion to copy the recipe of an assembler whose source of a pipette has one. We already have the shortcut of copying the recipe using Ctrl-C, and narrowly upgrading pipette functionality would be confusing and leading to an endless string of requests to further extend it:

If extending the pipette is useful for recipe, Why not include modules? Someone will undoubtedly then ask for inserter settings. It's the sort of feature request rat-hole that should be avoided if you ask me.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

ssilk wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 12:00 am
Hint: Please avoid double posting. You can edit your post afterwardsor plan the initial replies a bit more. :)

PS: just a hint not only to you, jodokus. :)
Fair. I added my additional thoughts after more than 12 hours, so I thought it deserves a new reply. But ok, I know for later.
netmand wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:29 pm
If extending the pipette is useful for recipe, Why not include modules? Someone will undoubtedly then ask for inserter settings. It's the sort of feature request rat-hole that should be avoided if you ask me.
Yes, that's exactly what I expect, too

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”