[0.17.x] Allow toolbar to select "scales" of items

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.x] Allow toolbar to select "scales" of items

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Allow the toolbar to filter a Type of item, and automatically replace it with highest tier in the player inventory, or the highest that has been in the inventory and the Tier that is craftable.

For example,
Setting a slot to the Tier 1 Assembler,
When the Tier 2 Assembler is unlocked and the player has one in their inventory, the toolbar slot is automatically replaced with the Tier 2.
And the Tier 3 when it becomes unlocked.

This will become more convenient for mods that add multiple tiers of various machines (6 Tiers of Assemblers, 3 Tiers of Electric Furnaces, 4 Tiers of Chemical Plant, 4 Tiers of Oil Refinery etc etc)

Perhaps add a variable to items to specify what the base item is in the chain, and everything that crafts from that base item, is a part of the "chain"

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.x] Allow toolbar to select "scales" of items

Post by leadraven »

No. I want to control what item I'm using:
- Sometimes I want to use not a top-tier item.
- If top-tier items ran out, I don't want to use lower-tier items.

Some items might have non-linear progression (inserters).

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

A config option could fix that.

>- If top-tier items ran out, I don't want to use lower-tier items.
The idea I had would be the top tier item stays there, even if you had more of the lower tiers.

>- Sometimes I want to use not a top-tier item.
"Sometimes" is the key word.

This is mostly for mods that add several extra tiers, that by the middle/end of the game, you wouldn't want to use Normal/Fast/Express inserters when Turbo/Ultimate are available, simply because holding so many tiers in your inventory takes up space, and the Higher Tier machines need more throughput than the lower tiers can handle.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

Note he said 'allow' not 'require', so you could put specific items in your quickbar or you could put 'high tier assembler I can craft' in your quickbar and the game would always use that. I like the idea, though it boils down IMO to 'is this feature worth the time it'd take to develop at this stage?'

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”