Mistakes with the steam turbines/boilers

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

sebas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Mistakes with the steam turbines/boilers

Post by sebas »

I really like the game, but I have found some errors with the electricity generation with the steam turbines.

In the game water is heated up by the boilers to 100C and leaves the boilers as liquid water. However as the name says steam turbines require steam, so the water should exit the boiler as steam.
Furthermore steam of just 100C at 1 bar cannot be used for power generation in an open cycle like this(water is used from the environment and steam is released to the environment at 1 bar) and in reality it’s heated up by the boilers to a minimum of 400C at 30 bar(in 2014), but this can go up to 585C at 165bar.

So what should change is
  • Boiler exit temp: minimal 400C
  • Boiler exit substance: Steam
Also maybe an extra pump, because the standard offshore pump would in reality not bring the pressure up to the required pressure.

By the way this system is very simplified and is not what is used in reality for power generation. Firstly because you would not use river or lake water in the turbines since it’s polluted and would damage the turbine blades. Secondly you would not throw steam of 100C in the atmosphere, since it still contains energy which can be extracted.

However both these changes would require a closed circuit, which would add multiple elements (condenser, pumps, cooling towers) to the system and therefore will probably be too complicated for the game.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Mistakes with the steam turbines/boilers

Post by BurnHard »

The game also has as "Diesel Locomotive" despite being operated with wood or coal ;)

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Well, the temperature goes up to 100, but nowhere is it said it is 100C. it could be 100% of what it should be :P

I think the current setup is good for the complexity intended in the game. Maybe they could add a little more (perhaps in a higher-tier power plant?), but I wouldn't want it to be too much. It's not a power-plant simulator, after all :)

But maybe someone would want to make a mod with more realistic power plants - I think what you describe is possible with the current modding capacity, but I'm not sure.

sebas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sebas »

Well, the temperature goes up to 100, but nowhere is it said it is 100C. it could be 100% of what it should be
Haha, well since it's exiting the lakes at 15 it's probably in Celcius ;p.
I think the current setup is good for the complexity intended in the game.
I agree that adding more objects to the steam setup would likely be overkill, I just gave a little bit extra information for fun.

I would like to see a change however in the boiler exit temp and the exit substance, because it makes no sense at the moment.

Jythier
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jythier »

What's the ambient water temperature on this foreign planet?

Does the pump have a filter in it?

Does the pump supply enough water to pressurize the pipes? How much water pressure can it provide?

Do you even know? How can you? :P

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by The Lone Wolfling »

I would love a mod or a higher tier power production system that was more complex.

Eurofighter1200
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Eurofighter1200 »

Yes i hope we get some more stuff for generating power and a colling Tower would be really cool but its a game so maybee not so important but i think it would be cool to have other enrgys too, so maybee fluid oil burners /gas /nuclear energy or my favorit biomass energy from the aliens :D

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”