[0.17.x] Console command to unlock Research Queue

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

VuiMuich
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17.x] Console command to unlock Research Queue

Post by VuiMuich »

Please add a

Code: Select all

/unlock-research-queue
similar to the

/unlock-quick-bar
to add this to maps already started with out the option checked at mapgen.

The necessity mostly arises with maps converted from versions prior to 0.17 where Rocket has not been launched yet. But also for maps where it simply was missed to change upon map start.
[ˈfʊɪ̯ mʊɪ̯ç]
Bavarian, translates to: Lots of Milk

Xuhybrid
Inserter
Inserter

When can we get a command for unlocking research queue?

Post by Xuhybrid »

When can we get a command for unlocking research queue?
Sure we can use this but also disable achievements. That defeats the whole point.

/c game.player.force.research_queue_enabled = true
How about something like the one for copy/paste/blueprints?

/unlock-shortcut-bar

/toggle-research-queue
Or better yet just make it a Gameplay setting instead of a per map setting.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.17.x] Console command to unlock Research Queue

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged with older topic with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

or for now use this mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/romulinho ... alwaystrue
Especially great for converted maps from 0.16 with mods.

Xuhybrid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xuhybrid »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:28 am
or for now use this mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/romulinho ... alwaystrue
Especially great for converted maps from 0.16 with mods.
Nice. Does this just override the setting while installed or does it update the map setting permanently?

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

Xuhybrid wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:09 pm
Nice. Does this just override the setting while installed or does it update the map setting permanently?
I have no bloody clue but it does this

script.on_init(
	function()
		local force = game.forces.player
		force.research_queue_enabled = true
	end
)

LydianLights
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Enable research queue without disabling achievements

Post by LydianLights »

TL;DR
It should be possible to enable the research queue after the game has started without using lua console commands which disable achievements.
Why ?
Without fail, every time I start up a new Factorio playthrough I forget to enable the research queue in the world generation options. I get maybe 40 mins to an hour into the game before realizing that I never turned it on. At that point I have a few options:

1) Continue the game without the queue enabled (defeats the purpose of even having the queue feature)

2) Regenerate the world with the option enabled and replay the last hour or so (a waste of time since I've already done the fun part of early game -- planning my initial base)

3) Use /c game.player.force.research_queue_enabled = true and lose achievements for this playthrough (I'm still working on those 20M circuits...)

4) Use a hack like the one outlined here: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... rch_queue/

When the most appealing option involves directly modifying game files and exploiting the game's code, to me that indicates a disconnect between the UX the developers have designed and the goals of the player. I understand the developers have very specific thoughts about the research queue and its effects on gameplay (particularly for newer players) but as someone already familiar with the tech tree, the research queue is a great quality-of-life feature. As a player, I don't think of it as a gameplay difficulty modifier, and that makes its current location in the UI really unintuitive (to the point where I always completely forget about it).
Solution
I want to propose an additional console command /researchqueue <enable/disable> that will internally just do the exact same thing that /c game.player.force.research_queue_enabled does, but without breaking achievements. This solution seems ideal for a few reasons:

1) Minimum development time (heck I would even PR this in if Factorio were open source). I know it's difficult for an outsider to estimate development time for new features, but if your console is implemented in any sane way then this should be super simple considering /c game.player.force.research_queue_enabled = true already exists.

2) No new UI. Again, this ties into minimizing development time, plus the devs don't need to re-evaluate their stance on how the research queue fits into gameplay.

3) Advanced players are already familiar with the console, or are capable of learning. The research queue is a feature intended for "power user" type players to begin with. The devs actively do not want beginners using the queue, so there's no need to worry that a console command will be confusing to beginners.

4) Minimum pain solution for a problem that many experienced users encounter. I watch KatherineOfSky (unquestionably an expert player) pretty often and it seems every new series she forgets to enable the research queue. I constantly forget to enable the research queue. When you Google search "factorio enable research queue", there are plenty of people forgetting to enable the research queue. Some of those that forget surely want to keep working towards achievements, because achievements are fun! And entering a console command is much easier than starting over, and way more "legit" than using an exploit that may or may not be patched out.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.18.36] allow research queue should be a general setting that can be changed for existing games

Post by factoriouzr »

Allow research queue should be a general setting that can be changed for existing games and should not only be available on new game creation. Disabling the research queue being default is not good. The research queue is of benefit to new and existing long time players but if you are still set on having the research queue disabled for new players, put it in the game options not on the new game screen. it's so easy to forget to enable the research queue on new games for most players that want it. There is no reason for this to not be a remembered option that can be set in options. There is also no reason this can't be enabled for existing games.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread on the same subject (ability to activate research queue from settings/non disabling console command).

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Someone's LUA-Console
Run lua commands without locking achievements.
or
Eradicator's /sudo

Mods that give you a Lua console that doesn't deactivate achievements.

I'm not saying you should install these mods. I'm saying the /c commands shouldn't deactivate the achievements since modding doesn't and it's a pointless and annoying limitation that the console puts you in. You can cheat yourself to achievements with mods or with console, why is one treated differently?

If you run a /c command then you are live modding the game (with LESS power than actual mods have), so transitioning the save into a the "modded achievements" slot just like when you install mods into a save.

There's NO downsides to my suggestion. And I can tell my mod users to fix their savefiles when they need help by telling them to "paste this command to change that thing that I don't want to add to the mod just for you" without them always saying "but my achievements". It's so annoying that I've considered adding an in-mod Lua console to ALL my mods (and maybe get the mod community to do the same with me) just in case I ever need to ask a user to run a command.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”