Automatically switch from ghost to real item (in hand) when one becomes available

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

jdgordon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Automatically switch from ghost to real item (in hand) when one becomes available

Post by jdgordon »

Being able to place building ghosts when you have no inventory is awesome, but can you change it so if you are hand-crafting the item you currently have in-hand as a ghost, and it completes, the item is put into your hand instantly?

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Automatically switch from ghost to real item (in hand) when one becomes available

Post by <NO_NAME> »

Definitely this.

It's especially annoying when you are placing something which is currently in your build queue. You have to be constantly aware of number of items you have in the hand because if you place the last one, you have to drop the ghost go to your inventory/quickbar and select it again.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

Diablo
Inserter
Inserter

0.18 update item in hand when item becomes available.

Post by Diablo »

TL;DR
Update the item (count) in hand when the item becomes available when non were available before. (ghosting)
What ?
I would like to see the functionality return that when I have no more of a certain item and I am working with the ghost of that item, (not holding shift) if I then start to handcraft that item or that item is delivered to me by logistic bots, as soon as the first one becomes available, I would like the ghost form in my "hand" to change to the actual item and not stay a ghost form.
Why ?
I often start crafting a item, like say an assembler, and pipette it at the same time.
Now it used to be that your ghost item would change into the actual item when build but that doesn't happen anymore.
I think it makes the interaction between what is in hand and what is in your inventory more intuitive as the two will always be in sync that way.

Thank you for your consideration.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 0.18 update item in hand when item becomes available.

Post by valneq »

I politely disagree. Very often I find myself planning ghosts for my personal construction robots, that are waaay out of my construction range, and I keep on handcrafting items while the robots place them. Losing my last item due to a robot taking it switches into ghost planning mode. If it would automatically switch back to item placing mode just because I finished crafting, would force me to place the ghosts with shift, or otherwise give me an "out of reach" error. I prefer that it stays in ghost planning mode once I am there.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 0.18 update item in hand when item becomes available.

Post by ickputzdirwech »

This is the same suggestion as 65822.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Automatically switch from ghost to real item (in hand) when one becomes available

Post by Bilka »

Merged.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”