[0.17.2] Allow disabling "x is in the way" error text

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17.2] Allow disabling "x is in the way" error text

Post by MiniHerc »

<insert name here> is in the way.
Cannot reach.
Etc.

Please let us disable this error text in the options somewhere. I frequently click on an existing power pole so I can run along and get auto max spacing, click on an existing transport belt and drag, etc, and the constant error text spam is exceedingly annoying. I can see how it might be helpful for someone learning the game, but I have 600+ hours in Factorio and it is an incessant distraction from gameplay.

In addition, it loves to spam 'cannot reach' when I'm just moving along chopping trees with the cursor at max range.

Examples of the annoying error text:
ImageImageImage
Last edited by MiniHerc on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.0] Allow disabling error text

Post by pleegwat »

Building a furnace on a furnace, a power pole on a power pole, a belt on a belt, etc, probably shouldn't be an error in the first place?

ezylot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ezylot »

I did not realize it at first, but now that you mention it.. Placing an entitiy over the same one should really not preoduce an error

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

pleegwat wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:13 pm
Building a furnace on a furnace, a power pole on a power pole, a belt on a belt, etc, probably shouldn't be an error in the first place?
Good point, agreed. I still would like an option to disable the error text entirely.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.17.2] Allow disabling error text

Post by MiniHerc »

I'm about 8 hours into a singleplayer railworld and this 'feature' is still incessantly annoying. At the very least, using an existing entity for proper spacing of new entities of the same type should NOT generate these errors.

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17.7] Reduce frequency of 'cannot place here' messages

Post by Jonathan88 »

TL;DR
Don’t display ‘can’t build’ message (due to other buildings obstructing placement) until it has been attempted twice.

What ?
When trying to place things, I'll often accidentally click on somewhere where it cannot be built (by accident). Previously the little "beep beep" let me know the place was occupied and I needed to move my cursor slightly. In 0.17 the error messages come up every time, which gets quite distracting/frustrating when I already know why I can't place it.
This happens a lot when building lines of [belts], as the first one I place is usually on top of the end of the existing belt, in order to make sure I won't leave a gap.

Clearly these messages are very useful for new players, and often for existing players when the problem is not clear (one tile of water etc.)
Proposed solution:
  • Keep all messages where buildings can't be placed for non-usual reasons (water, blueprint obstructed, etc.).
  • When the building cannot be placed due to another building being in the way (the reason majority of time), do not display the message until the building has been attempted to be placed the second time. The first time only have the "beep beep", and the second time display the message. When the cursor is cleared, reset the count.
Hopefully this means confused new players, who attempt to place in the same place again, will get the message, but the rest of us can avoid it.
Why ?
I find the messages useful, but most of the time I see them I already know the problem, so they just get in the way. With this solution, they can still be shown for unusual cases where normal players might not realise the problem, and also in simple situations, but only on the second attempt.
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.17.2] Allow disabling "x is in the way" error text

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with similar suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.17.2] Allow disabling "x is in the way" error text

Post by Jonathan88 »

Thanks - didn't spot this :-)
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.2] Allow disabling error text

Post by Tekky »

Ambaire wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:26 am
I'm about 8 hours into a singleplayer railworld and this 'feature' is still incessantly annoying. At the very least, using an existing entity for proper spacing of new entities of the same type should NOT generate these errors.
I fully agree.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”