LEDs on assemblers, radar upgrade, satellites scanning

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

jokoon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

LEDs on assemblers, radar upgrade, satellites scanning

Post by jokoon »

• A colored LED to quickly visualize which assembler/chemical plan are actively doing something. This can be really helpful to diagnose bottlenecks.
  • An research upgrade to the radar range, even if the distance bonus is very small or part of the infinite research. Not sure if it's technically possible since the engine use a tile/grid system, but it would be greatly appreciated. If it's not possible, maybe a new bigger, energy hungry, expensive radar?
  • Using the satellite as a radar, either geostationary or orbital, like a radar that monitors a larger area.
  • Turning on/off the personal roboport, I think this will be available in the upcoming 0.17 UI update, but I'm bot sure.
  • In multiplayer, it would be great to have a team leader allocating zones where other players are allowed to build factories. This would make large factorio multiplayer parties easier to play, since it would prevent trolling

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: LEDs on assemblers, radar upgrade, satellites scanning

Post by darkfrei »

jokoon wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:02 am
  • A colored LED to quickly visualize which assembler/chemical plan are actively doing something. This can be really helpful to diagnose bottlenecks.
Did you try this?
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Bottleneck

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

There are mods for advanced radars that cover 4 times as much ground and consume 4 times as much power. That would work nicely in vanilla

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Serenity wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:57 pm
There are mods for advanced radars that cover 4 times as much ground and consume 4 times as much power. That would work nicely in vanilla
Or mod with satellite map revealing https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FogRemover there doesn't need power, but need to send one satellite for every area.

arthon34
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Add light indicators for assembling machines depending on their state

Post by arthon34 »

TL;DR
Add little red/yellow/green light indicators to the assembler graphic, depending on whether they have no resources to produce, their output is full, or they are working full-time.

What ?
At some point, light indicators were added for the electric mining drill.
Miner graphic.png
Miner graphic.png (796.85 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
These lights display:

red (no more resources to mine)
yellow (output is full)
green (working as intended)
black (no power)

I think the assembling machine can make use of these indicators in almost exactly the same way:

red (no more resources to produce recipe)
yellow (output is full)
green (working as intended)
black (no power)
Why ?
Currently, the only way to tell whether an assembler is working or not is to look at whether the cogs and pistons on top of the machine are turning and moving. When close by, this is certainly possible to see relatively clearly.
Assembler close.png
Assembler close.png (350.99 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
However, when even moderately zoomed out, the effect lessens to whether a few gray pixels in the top left are glistening or not (static image below, but it makes the point clear), and even then, there is no way to at a glance tell the difference between a resource-starved assembler and one with a full output.
Assembler far.png
Assembler far.png (363.33 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
Simply by adding lights, it should be a lot clearer (Be advised; the red lights depicted are a work of fiction. No factories were made less efficient in the making of this imagery.):
Assembler far paint mockup.png
Assembler far paint mockup.png (363.24 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
The bottleneck mod already does this currenty, for those who have no problem modding their games. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Bottleneck
However, the base game should benefit a lot from this instant visual clarity.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Add light indicators for assembling machines depending on their state

Post by Deadlock989 »

Mods can do this right now. But as far as I know the Bottleneck mod still relies on extremely heavy scripting as before 1.0 or maybe mid-0.18 there was no other way of doing this. However you can now have "status-coloured" working visualisation elements for drills and crafting machine entities without any scripting at all.

But for vanilla every crafting machine (assemblers, furnaces, centrifuges, chemical plants, etc.) would need to be redesigned by the artists and the sprite definitions would need to be overhauled by the programmers to accommodate this idea to the standard expected for everything else in the base game.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi deadlock,
i think i saw this picture posted by you somewhere..

can i check which mod its from please as it looks cool :)
download/file.php?id=64735
thanks
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

@foodfactorio please use PM for such questions.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”