Tiny feature request: show network number when hovering over a roboport

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Tiny feature request: show network number when hovering over a roboport

Post by luc »

TL;DR: When using many networks, it is very tedious to use the logistic networks screen's network selection menu because it takes dozens of tries to find the right network. Showing the network number as a property when hovering over a roboport would solve the issue.

I use roboports extensively, and the logistic network screen (L) is very helpful. However, it is pretty much unusable except to check the network I'm currently in. If I want to find another network, I have to estimate the number of roboports it should have and browse through dozens of networks in the menu, usually giving up and just going there (even if it takes multiple minutes by train to get there).

It's on the edge between a bug and a missing feature, since it kind of prevents me from using the interface as intended, but last time I err'd on the side of considering something a bug so this time I'll err on the side of calling it a feature request :)

A simple solution is to just show the network number in the roboport properties (like below the number of available robots). I can zoom to the map and hover over a roboport in the network I'm looking for, and then easily find the network in the logistics network screen. Note that just hovering over a logistics chest when zooming to map does not work: the interface runs outside the screen and I cannot filter/search.

Note: i cannot find any topic from the last two months in this board that has a reply from a developer. Could a dev let me know the board is being read at all? Just a read notification, something like "I read it." and nothing else would be great :).

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tiny feature request: show network number when hovering over a roboport

Post by Koub »

The devs do read this subforum as they do to all the others. However, thay have already said they prefered not to interfere unless necessary, in order not to have an influence on our debates, to let us not be restrained by them during our discussions.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Koub wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:42 am
The devs do read this subforum as they do to all the others. However, thay have already said they prefered not to interfere unless necessary, in order not to have an influence on our debates, to let us not be restrained by them during our discussions.
Can it be done in 0.17 as modded interface panel?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

+1
I tried using the logistics window when it was added, couldn't figure out which network was which and havn't touched that feature ever since.

Chrisi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chrisi »

+1
The logistic network window would become really useful if we knew at what network to select.

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

+1
Can we also add names to our logistic networks? It might be tricky when networks are created/split, but it would make the window even simpler to use.
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

Thanks for the support guys!

Now if the devs only read this board :roll:
QGamer wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:03 am
Can we also add names to our logistic networks?
I've thought about suggesting that as solution, but I would really like to just have this simple solution first. Better any solution now than a good solution in Factorio v1.20!

MoleOnDope
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MoleOnDope »

QGamer wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:03 am
Can we also add names to our logistic networks? It might be tricky when networks are created/split, but it would make the window even simpler to use.
Someone suggested that just over a year ago:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56733

I think renaming logistics networks is a deeply necessary addition, I'm barely using the current system because I can never tell which network is which :D

Displaying the network number as OP suggested would be a comparably easy and quick fix I suppose, but it's probably more like curing the symptoms rather than healing the illness :roll:

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”