Control movement with mouse

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

xav
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

clic to move

Post by xav »

Is it possible to have an option to enable a "right click to move"? To only play with the mouse :mrgreen:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: clic to move

Post by ssilk »

I would like that, because one of my left fingers has no feeling in it after an accident. I really have problems to master this game.
+1 +1 +1

I know, the game would become more Diablo feeling, but - is that really that bad? Let the player choose how he wants to steer this...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Mouse-clic move

Post by binbinhfr »

Hi,

it would be nice to integrate mouse-clic-move like in majority of games : I clic somewhere on the screen or even the minimap, and my character walks to this point in straight line ?
potentially stopping on hard buildings, stopping in front of water, stopping if being attacked.

thanks for the game
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mouse-clic move

Post by ssilk »

I also wish that, sometimes it would make walking much easier. It should work also for far distances and while walking I want to do anything (crafting, looking on the map...).

It sounds, as it would be easy to implement that as mod, but current problem: You need a special tool for that, otherwise you won't get the click-events.

Bunny
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Control movement with mouse

Post by Bunny »

TL;DR
Moving when both mouse buttons are pressed.
What?
Have the character walk towards the area of the screen the mouse is in when both left and right click are pressed, or something of similar nature.
Why?
Disabilities inhibiting keyboard use and rebinding a mouse to use WSAD is really ineffective.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Control movement with mouse

Post by Tekky »

One problem is that the mouse cursor position is already used for aiming. If you also use it for moving the player, the player will be unable to fire forwards while moving backwards at the same time.

And how should steering a vehicle work with the mouse, where you have to press the accelerator and steer at the same time? Of course, you could use the horizontal cursor position for steering and the vertical cursor position for accelerating/braking, but this will likely get confusing for the player unless the vehicle is poining north.

Although I am in favor of the game supporting people with disabilities, I'm afraid there is no easy solution to these problems.

Of course, one could argue that people with such a disability don't need to be able to move the player and fire a weapon at the same time, and can play without steering a vehicle, because these things are not absolutely necessary to win the game.
Last edited by Tekky on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

While I agree that more programs / games should be suited for people with certain disabillities...

I wonder how you are playing the game in general... a lot of necessary functions require keyboard interaction together with the mouse... like Shift+Click.

Bunny
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bunny »

MeduSalem wrote:While I agree that more programs / games should be suited for people with certain disabillities...

I wonder how you are playing the game in general... a lot of necessary functions require keyboard interaction together with the mouse... like Shift+Click.

With extra mouse buttons, however they only have so many and moving in all 8 directions is rather hard with just your thumb and that leaves fewer options to bind the rest of the stuff.

Tekky wrote:One problem is that the mouse cursor position is already used for aiming. If you also use it for moving the player, the player will be unable to fire forwards while moving backwards at the same time.

And how should steering a vehicle work with the mouse, where you have to press the accelerator and steer at the same time? Of course, you could use the horizontal cursor position for steering and the vertical cursor position for accelerating/braking, but this will likely get confusing for the player unless the vehicle is poining north.

Although I am in favor of the game supporting people with disabilities, I'm afraid there is no easy solution to these problems.

Of course, once could argue that people with such a disability don't need to be able to move the player and fire a weapon at the same time, and can play without steering a vehicle, because these things are not absolutely necessary to win the game.
Aiming and vehicles would need some workaround yes, having no option altogether is the bigger issue.

Aprillion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Aprillion »

Bunny wrote:Disabilities inhibiting keyboard use and rebinding a mouse to use WSAD is really ineffective.
If you use AutoHotKey, I created edge_scrolling.ahk - Edge Scrolling mode is enabled by pressing 4th mouse button (feel free to customize), sensitive up to 20% of window size away from the edges, displaying a tooltip for triggered keys (e.g. AW in top left corner) and a general message when enabled but mouse is in the center of the screen (disable by clicking any mouse button).

edit: I found the script quite useful for myself too and I modified the script - the player now nicely follows the mouse pointer and in early game (before construction bots) it's now possible to keep the mode enabled most of the time. If you keep the pointer above a building, the player will move towards it until it is possible to reach it.
(in vanilla game, default zoom on 1920×1080px screen, there is ~380x380px building-reachable square around the player => ~190px reach distance, possible to configure)

Bunny
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bunny »

Aprillion wrote:
Bunny wrote:Disabilities inhibiting keyboard use and rebinding a mouse to use WSAD is really ineffective.
If you use AutoHotKey, I created edge_scrolling.ahk - Edge Scrolling mode is enabled by pressing 4th mouse button (feel free to customize), sensitive up to 20% of window size away from the edges, displaying a tooltip for triggered keys (e.g. AW in top left corner) and a general message when enabled but mouse is in the center of the screen (disable by clicking any mouse button).

edit: I found the script quite useful for myself too and I modified the script - the player now nicely follows the mouse pointer and in early game (before construction bots) it's now possible to keep the mode enabled most of the time. If you keep the pointer above a building, the player will move towards it until it is possible to reach it.
(in vanilla game, default zoom on 1920×1080px screen, there is ~380x380px building-reachable square around the player => ~190px reach distance, possible to configure)

I'll have to give this a try, thank you.

TackleMcClean
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Ability for player to autorun without holding movement key

Post by TackleMcClean »

I made a mod (I wasn't the first one either although other mods are outdated) that lets the player autorun.

The need came from having some wrist/hand problems and running long distances is a bit annoying when you have to hold down a movement key during that time. What I really want to do is something more productive, like looking at the map to plan stuff etc.

My mod:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/tackleautorun

The mod works very well for me. I wish I could play multiplayer with it, I really miss it when it's not there.
Perhaps with native support for this it could be solved in a better way? Some other trigger for it to start, I don't know.

With that in mind, I wish it was part of Factorio per default.

WarDaft
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Ability for player to autorun without holding movement key

Post by WarDaft »

Yes.

I'd also like to see click-to-move mechanics. Not because I would use them, but because they provide a huge accessibility benefit, using almost entirely already implemented functionality..

Criptorio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Handicap Accessibility Please Read!

Post by Criptorio »

Hello, my name is Shane and I'm writing this because I support games being accessible to all gamers and I don't think some developers really think about it when they create games.

First of all I would like to say the game looks really fun and honestly looks like there's so much to do and I bet there's quite a learning curve and I think you guys have really done a good job. I was really hyped up to download and play it after setting up my voice accessibility for over an hour. I finally clicked play and started the tutorial when it said move with "WASD". I looked around to see if there was a way I could enable click to move and to no avail I did not see it anywhere, I couldn't even get past the tutorial.

I suffer from Duchenne muscular dystrophy which basically means I can't move very well so using a keyboard is near impossibleand. I commonly find myself scrolling down the list of games on steam, majority of the time i don't find any games accessible to players like me and possibly countless others who suffer with other disabilities "WASD" movement is the worst offender when it comes down to accessibility.

I have a few suggestions:

1. Implementing a click to move option interchangeable between left or right click.

2. In WoW they have a move pad with movement arrows you click and your character moves in that direction until you click the arrow again, I would suggest making it a option so you have to hold the mouse button down over the direction you want to go as being forced to turn off the direction can be annoying.
WoW move pad/box: https://i.imgur.com/HPC31lP.png

3. Make a toggle option for your character to walk in the direction you have the cursor in(including diagnal), like edge movement when you put the cursor to the edge of the window, but don't make it the very edge because anyone using a headmouse or eye tracking might find it difficult also please don't lock the cursor to the window, you have no idea how many times i've called my mother upstairs because i was trapped in a game window LOL

I personally like option #3 as I think the game has enough hotkeys and left mouse inputs, I'm sure there's countless other accessibility features you can add but I can only speak from my own experience. I don't want anyone thinking that i want special treatment all i want is the same chance to play the game just like everyone else.

Hope this doesn't get looked over, please feel free to respond!

PS. Someone make a click to move mod!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Handicap Accessibility Please Read!

Post by Koub »

Looking for this ? : https://mods.factorio.com/mod/move-with-mouse
[Edit] I also suggest some form of long reach mod, so that youwon't have to spend half of your time switching between "move" mode and "place" mode.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Criptorio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Criptorio »

i appreciate the link, i didn't notice until now that mods aren't available on the demo version. I would love to give it a try even though i feel like this is more of a work around then a permanent solution.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Also merging into previous identical suggestion thread.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] Merged four threads about click-to-move option.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

There's also Kruise Kontrol now which does a lot more than just walking.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”