Blueprint Permissions Restrictions - Disable Previously Imported Blueprints

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

FearfulSky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Blueprint Permissions Restrictions - Disable Previously Imported Blueprints

Post by FearfulSky »

TL;DR
Additional Blueprint Permissions to Restrict Use of Previously Imported Blueprints as an optional /permission
What ?
Add an option in /permissions to disable ALL previous blueprints or have players start with 0 blueprints when they join the game.
Currently there is "import blueprint" and other general ones which affect blueprint usage, however nothing which stops min-maxed imported blueprints from being used if blueprints are enabled.
Why ?
With this addition, server administrators have the option to further limit the use of blueprints IF THEY WANT TO.
Using this option and current /permissions, it would then be possible to:
  • Use any blueprints however you want
    Dont use any blueprints
    Use only blueprints which you have made in that server (so you know how they work!)
Let me share a few examples of situations in which this feature would be nice:
  • -Group of new players start playing the game, with 0 knowledge or understanding of automation within the game. They want to learn the game and try making some machines themselves. 10 minutes later, someone else joins the game and pastes an entire min-maxed base that they had imported from google or something (they can do this even with import blueprints turned off in /permissions if they do it or did it in another server or save). Now none of the players understand how any of it works, but it works so they stick with it.
  • -Challenge run: No imported blueprints--> Currently not possible to enforce as player's can import blueprints in previous saves or worlds to use.
This option also allows the restriction of blueprints without disabling them completely. The option is also an option - those servers and players that wish to keep their previous blueprints are free to do so.

I was inspired to suggest this after the following conversation between 2 new players:
Bob: Hey dude, I am logging in now! Sorry that took like 10 minutes!
Ross: Yo! I built us all science pack factories and a sushi belt and also a mall.
Bob: Whats a mall?
Ross: No idea but it gives us items.
Bob: How did you make it?
Ross: Oh, I got it from google!
Bob: Ok, its not really working, how do we fix this part right here?
Ross: No idea, i dont know how this works

I think this feature would be great and add more possibilities to customize how servers work.

Hopefully my post is understandable and ok formatting, I didn't think of any way to illustrate this with pictures!
Discord: FearfulSky#5036

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Blueprint Permissions Restrictions - Disable Previously Imported Blueprints

Post by Jap2.0 »

FearfulSky wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:35 pm
  • -Group of new players start playing the game, with 0 knowledge or understanding of automation within the game. They want to learn the game and try making some machines themselves. 10 minutes later, someone else joins the game and pastes an entire min-maxed base that they had imported from google or something (they can do this even with import blueprints turned off in /permissions if they do it or did it in another server or save). Now none of the players understand how any of it works, but it works so they stick with it.
Yes, these players who have played the game for 10 minutes will know about /permissions.

That's about the extent of the flaws I can see.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Trebor »

How would this work with blueprint strings?

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:01 pm
Yes, these players who have played the game for 10 minutes will know about /permissions.
Server owner may know, not players.
Trebor wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:05 pm
How would this work with blueprint strings?
Probably disable import.
You know blueprints can be sent via chat in 0.17

Kostriktor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kostriktor »

agree. need this absolutely. im tired of noobs who paste mega blueprints into my game, and then think they are amazing. iq<30 but feels like Einstein...

mieze :3
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mieze :3 »

I would love this!
But I agree that new players wouldn't know about this function.

Another application that comes to mind is for use by map makers in the editor.

It doesn't have to be readily available. Just an admin command to disable blueprint download into the map would be great.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”