Transport Planes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Qosmius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Transport Planes

Post by Qosmius »

I wonder if player controller planes will be added in the future?
I see the final campaign mission has a plane you have to build and fly away but this is not implemented in the sandbox mode.

It would be neat to have Transport Planes in combination with Transport Trains.
Planes could be used in far away locations where trains would too time consuming.

Ofcourse the planes would be balanced by being very expensive and using alot of energy.
Maybe different typles of planes aswell? Light Cargo plane/Heavy Cargo plane.

What do other people think about this idea?

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Transport Planes

Post by Tekky »

Related thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41021 Helicopter

Qosmius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Qosmius »

Oh, i do not mean personal transport. I must have phrased myself abit wrong.
I mean planes for transporting resources/Cargo plane.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

The main problem I see with planes - in contrast to helicopters - is that they require a long runway.

I guess such runways could be implemented as a very large building. However, I'm not sure if the Factorio engine supports such large buildings.

Another question arises: Should biters/spitters be able to attack flying planes, just like they are able to attack trains?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Tekky wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:26 am
Another question arises: Should biters/spitters be able to attack flying planes, just like they are able to attack trains?
Biters can attack trains because both biters and trains move on the ground. They could perhaps attack planes that are moving on a runway, i.e. planes in the process of taking off or landing -- but flying planes? Not unless bat-biters are introduced to the game! :-)

Spitters and worms, in contrast, have ranged attacks. So it would be weird if they shouldn't be able to attack low-flying planes from the ground. That would imply adding a Z-axis to the game, so that the critters wouldn't be able to hit planes flying outside of their range. According to the railway tunnels/bridges thread, however, this third dimension would be hard to implement, so I guess it's not going to happen anytime soon, if at all.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”