0.xx/Beta/1.x suggestions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

0.xx/Beta/1.x suggestions

Post by Alien_Squasher »

So this is kind of a big list of stuff I would like to see implemented as the game progresses towards 1.0, some of these are already implemented as this list is kind of old 0.14 era (These have a • next to them)

I have a good working experience with the game (over 800 hours and a megabase in progress, which can be found here viewtopic.php?f=204&t=63886 )

I've broken this down in to categories

Also, kudos to the devs for getting this far and working so hard!

Energy:
Nuclear Power •

Oil based power for burning petroleum/light/heavy oil in boilers to prevent backup (basically a boiler as we know them in 0.16 but with an extra fluid input)

Manual Power prioritization (Add an option where you can tell your power grid to use say nuclear before coal because reactors use fuel at a constant rate, and what consumers to prioritize, say Laser Turrets over Fast Inserters)

Fusion Powerplants (Make them require deuterium pellets and produce electricity directly at a level that scales with fuel input with a set cap {basically input 1 deuterium pellet and you get x MW, input 2 and you get x times 1.y power up to a set cap})

Electrode Towers (While vastly inefficient and requiring massive amounts of power versus actual reception at the other end these could transmit power over huge distances and could help to nullify issues of power line protection for outposts late game)

Logistics:
Bot charging towers (Think roboport minus bot storage and taking up perhaps as little as 2 tiles, however make these not extend either logistics or construction range as this would basically nullify the need for local roboports. The only reason why I say this is because I have a mostly bot megabase and the qeue for charging even with over 150 roboports is like a checkout line on Black Friday.)

Bot Depot (BIG. DAMN. ROBOPORT. Basically take the standard roboport and make it able to many more bots, but also taking up far more space, though with perhaps up to 16 charging points.)

Items:

Deuterium (Fuel for fusion reactors, requires U235 and water {This does make some sense in terms of what deuterium is and how it is produced IRL, which is a hydrogen atom with a neutron (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium#Production , note how it is stated that theoretically deuterium could be produced in a nuclear reactor, which could be an idea for producing deuterium ingame, where instead of having an assembly machine or chemical plant create deuterium you produce it by feeding water into a breeder reactor, which could either be set up to use the base reactor or a completely different type))

Nuclear Science Pack (This is an idea for a final science pack and would be designed to be endgame science alongside with space science, as in my experience you have a one sided space science belt when you set up rockets and so if you created this to go alongside space science it'd work almost perfectly. My idea for the recipe would be something like this: 4 atomic bombs, 1 nuclear reactor, 4 centrifuges, 40 U235.

Granted this is just MY idea for the recipe, 1 nuclear reactor is 1k concrete which means that unless you make each cycle of this in an assembly machine produce 4 science packs (which is still 250 concrete PER pack) or something throughput for any rapid production of these (2/s or so) is going to be a major challenge, which I think the game needs because right now you can literally beat the game with no problems and build gigantic megabases that produce 60 or so science/second without so much as touching logistics bots, and I think you need some item which is going to be used a lot which requires a huge number of intermediate products in one recipe (like reactors) just to make it almost entirely necessary to use bots or at the very least extremely challenging to do with belts, that is specifically POST rocket so that the belts only achievement and it's value is preserved. )

Military:

Nuclear artillery shells (Self explanatory, nuke fired from a cannon, I'd recommend making it require space/nuclear science if you implement nuclear science)

Shielded Walls (Make these consume power but provide AMAZING (theoretically infinite hp provided there's power) protection against biters/spitters, with their only limiting factor being how much power your grid can provide, the only drawbacks of these being is that A: they require CONSTANT, large amounts of power, and B: if they lose power there's a 30 to 60 second window where aliens can damage them, Also, give them the same or less HP as a stone wall. Another option is just to add in tiers, where T1 requires so much energy, and can soak up so much damage and basically in terms of mechanics repair itself quickly, and T2 is better etc.)

Aliens:

Flying aliens that can simply glide over walls but can be targeted by laser turrets (Only make theses appear at say higher evolution factors like 0.92+)

Burrowing aliens (Also only make these appear at higher evo factors like 0.92+ but give them a range of tiles where they can simply bypass turrets, and walls, making you defend your entire factory up to a certain point)

Mega Aliens (Perhaps similar to Biterzilla from the mod of the same name, but I'd recommend either A: making a hardcore mode where these appear, or B: allowing artillery to target it, and only allowing it to appear at extreme evolution factors like 0.97-8+)

Sappers (Aliens that charge and explode, causing a large amount of damage, but having low health)

Tanks (Aliens that are slow, but have both melee and ranged capabilities and a large amount of health)

Artillery style aliens (make these appear only at high evolution factors, like 0.92+, but essentially have these being semi stationary aliens that move incredibly slowly and have high health, but can deploy (become stationary and thus targets for your artillery, but they should be able to withstand MANY nuclear/normal artillery shells to the face and have maybe half the range of artillery turrets. You could also just make these appear at extreme evolution/hardcore)
Hi. I kill Aliens :D

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 0.xx/Beta/1.x suggestions

Post by Serenity »

Alien_Squasher wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:34 pm
Bot charging towers (Think roboport minus bot storage and taking up perhaps as little as 2 tiles, however make these not extend either logistics or construction range as this would basically nullify the need for local roboports. The only reason why I say this is because I have a mostly bot megabase and the qeue for charging even with over 150 roboports is like a checkout line on Black Friday.)

Bot Depot (BIG. DAMN. ROBOPORT. Basically take the standard roboport and make it able to many more bots, but also taking up far more space, though with perhaps up to 16 charging points.)
Bob's Logistics mod has this and its really great. It breaks down the roboport into its parts:
* bot storage
* charging pad
* transmission antenna

The normal roboports still exists if you enable them, but otherwise you can pick what you need most. Just small antennas to extent the network (really annoying to build a full roboport instead). Or charging pads along long travel paths. That would be great in vanilla

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Alien_Squasher wrote:
So this is kind of a big list of stuff I would like to see implemented as the game progresses towards 1.0, some of these are already implemented as this list is kind of old 0.14 era (These have a • next to them)
Firstly, big lists are very frowned upon on this forum. The devs much prefer that each idea be it's own forum topic. maybe per category.

Alien_Squasher wrote:
Oil based power for burning petroleum/light/heavy oil in boilers to prevent backup (basically a boiler as we know them in 0.16 but with an extra fluid input)
I wrote that. Rseding aproved it, cleaned it up, and implemented it into the game code. It will be in the game for modders to use in 0.17.
however there are no plans for the base game to use anything with this. in fact, solid fuel blocks is basically their idea of oil powered.
Alien_Squasher wrote:
Manual Power prioritization (Add an option where you can tell your power grid to use say nuclear before coal because reactors use fuel at a constant rate, and what consumers to prioritize, say Laser Turrets over Fast Inserters)
I like the idea, but it's unlikely to happen.
Alien_Squasher wrote:
Fusion Powerplants (Make them require deuterium pellets and produce electricity directly at a level that scales with fuel input with a set cap {basically input 1 deuterium pellet and you get x MW, input 2 and you get x times 1.y power up to a set cap})
in 0.17, the generator entity (steam engine) can now accept a burner input. you could in theory make a mod that accepts a specific type of fuel category, and make deuterium pellets item of that fuel category.

Alien_Squasher wrote:
Logistics:

Bob's mods have both of these, though the big roboport is still just the same physical size as the standard one.

Given the whole bots vs belts thing, the latter is unlikely to happen... however... part of the "Possible fixes to the logistic robot" problem was that the individual functions of a roboport could be split up into separate entities. This was a mode I wrote into my mod after Klonan sugested it. So you'd have a zone expander, a charger, and bot storage as 3 different entities instead of all in one. The only real issue with this is that bots try to charge as they dock, meaning the storage needs to have recharge functionality. This could in theory be fixed, kinda, if bots didn't need to recharge before docking, or the roboport entity definitions allowed "Only charge if docking" option, and a "Only charge if drone energy above X percent". I'm fairly sure there is already an option where drones that are almost full of energy dock without charging anyway, but I can't think of how you set this right now, if it even exists.

Alien_Squasher wrote:
Nuclear artillery shells (Self explanatory, nuke fired from a cannon, I'd recommend making it require space/nuclear science if you implement nuclear science)
they added other kinds of nuclear weapons, so, it's possible.
Alien_Squasher wrote:
Artillery style aliens (make these appear only at high evolution factors, like 0.92+, but essentially have these being semi stationary aliens that move incredibly slowly and have high health, but can deploy (become stationary and thus targets for your artillery, but they should be able to withstand MANY nuclear/normal artillery shells to the face and have maybe half the range of artillery turrets. You could also just make these appear at extreme evolution/hardcore)
That's called a spitter.

Everything I didn't quote is unlikely to happen outside of modding.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

I appreciate the input!

If there's one feature I would recommend for your mods it'd be manual power prioritization. Granted your mods are just about perfect as is lol.
Hi. I kill Aliens :D

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”