Different notification sound for personal (whisper) chat messages

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Different notification sound for personal (whisper) chat messages

Post by Impatient »

TL;DR
A personal (whisper) chat messages has a different sound than global chat messages to make it distingushable by sound alone.
What ?
If a personal (whisper) chat message had its own, distinct notification sound, a player would know by the sound alone, that someone tried to specifically address that player.
Why ?
I play factorio almost only in multiplayer. On a server with 20 players there can be a lot of chat messages. So many, that I can not follow all the chat, while working on something. I see, it is the same for the other players as well. Sometimes I want to talk to a player and type something like this "@PlayerXYZ: What are you working on?" but that player does not react. Sometimes, after I finished something and have a look at the chat I realise, that someone tried to talk to me somewhen (if that message was not already burried by newer chat messages). If a personal/whisper message had a different notification sound, this could be used to get the attention of the player one wants to talk to. That player would know by sound alone, that a message was addressed specifically at her.

gibbsman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Different notification sound for personal (whisper) chat messages

Post by gibbsman »

I'd like to upvote this suggestion and add that having the chat notification noise and the research noise the same is confusing. I'd love to have at minimum a different sound for chat and research notifications. Or as Impatient suggests, a different chat sound for each user.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”