Logistically discarding items that are also requested should decrease the requested quantity

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

osndok
Inserter
Inserter

Logistically discarding items that are also requested should decrease the requested quantity

Post by osndok »

Suppose that at some point in the past, you have set your personal logic request slots to gather a BUNCH of iron... being how awesome the logistic system is, you use what you need and quickly forget about that persistent request.

Later, you find that you have a whole bunch of IRON in your inventory, so you put it in your logistical trash slots.

The player has thus demonstrated the intent to reduce the iron in his/her inventory.

I would recommend that the logistical system would (at the time of assigning items to the trash slots) down-adjust any matching requester slots to at most that which is currently in the players inventory (after the trash operation).

At present, it would seem that what happens is that logistics robots will come take your trash, and immediately give it back to you.... which is humorous, but not what the player intended.
Last edited by osndok on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Logistically discarding items that are also requested should decreate the requested quantity

Post by Optera »

Sounds fairly straight forward.
Calculate request - trash and use the result as either trash or request amount.

Is that not already the case?

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Logistically discarding items that are also requested should decrease the requested quantity

Post by Darinth »

Currently the implementation is exactly as the OP describes it. If I have 1000 iron plates and have setup a logistics request for them, and I put them in my logistics trash slots... my robots come and take that 1000 plates from my logistics trash, but the logistics request remains in place... and my robots then proceed to return my 1000 iron plates to me.

It seems both logical and reasonable that if I am at or below my logistics request amounts and I put items in my logistics trash slots it should reduce my logistics request amounts by that much. I'm curious if anybody has a use case for this not being implemented that isn't using something in a fashion that it shouldn't be.

fessoric
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Logistically discarding items that are also requested should decrease the requested quantity

Post by fessoric »

It would make more sense if updating the auto-request amount or the auto-trash amount would automatically update the other if they conflict. Simply dropping a stack into the manual trash slots does not, in my mind, indicate a desire to reduce the auto-request.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

To me what would make the most sense is having an option to have autotrash slots track request slots. So if I have 36 things requested, with this option, those same 36 would show up in autotrash in the exact same quantities. Then I wouldn't have to adjust both all the time.

GoldenShadowGS
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

QoL suggestion: Higher value in logistics slots should temporarily override trash slot value.

Post by GoldenShadowGS »

If you request more items than your trash threshold. All of the items will be brought to your character and immediately go into the trash slots, making the logistics bots become stuck in a loop of grabbing trash, putting it back into your inventory, the item goes back into the trash slot again. To work around this, the player has to modify the trash slot value for a specified item in addition to modifying the request value. This is an exercise in tedium to find and adjust both values to match, especially when your trash list is very crowded.

My suggestion is that whenever logistics slot value is higher than trash value, it temporarily overrides the trash value to match the requested amount. If request value is then lowered below the trash value, it uses the actual trash value setting. This will allow players to set a single trash value for general purpose without requiring us to also alter trash settings in tandem with requests.

Here is an example.

I set ammo to 200 in my trash slot. I decide to carry 2K ammo so I set my request slot to 2K my logistics bring me 2K ammo. Request is higher then trash value, so it is being overridden and temporarily set to 2K. Later, I am done using the ammo, so I set the request back to 0. Now the bots come and remove all but 200 ammo.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into very similar suggestion - both sides of the same coin.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

osndok
Inserter
Inserter

Post by osndok »

Still an issue in 0.17.68 that I trip over now and again. I've even seen it happen on a youtube let's play video!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”