The ability to change the color of a belt

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

The ability to change the color of a belt

Post by Mauslag PIngman »

I'd like to be able to change the color of a belt so that I can easily see where it is going. This same thing would be nice with RR tracks and would help greatly in clearing up spaghetti tangles. It would also be nice to label each side of belts with what they're supposed to be carrying such as iron plate on one side and copper coil on the other. It might be useful to be able to color several different belt lines with different colors of my choice as needed. This type of ability is something that could be researched and unlocked.

I'd like the ability to upgrade an entire length of belt and it's underground portions with just one command so long as I have the desired belt in inventory. Its rather silly to have to walk an entire belt line to upgrade, but it does give me something to do.

I'd like a special outcome be made available - Biter Erradication Policies have been successful. Biters are now going extinct. Unfortunately this results in a bloom of carniverous, machine eating, human and biter hating plants (some of which are mobile). A visit to the new plant biomes would let you see the plants fighting and winning against weakened biters and destroying all your structures. Popular weapons would be no good against carniverous plants. Flame throwing turrets would be effective. A whole new line of research would open up for herbicides and herbicide delivery systems.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: The ability to change the color of a belt

Post by Tekky »

Instead of marking belts by coloring them, I think it would be better to be able to place signposts next to belts. These signposts could be colored.

Signposts have been suggested in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58685 Signs

I don't like the idea of being able to color belts with custom colors, because color is already reserved to indicate the speed of the belt.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I think something like with trains would be the right solution.

When you hover over a belt then color that belt. And color the grey parts of the bet and not the arrows that indicate speed.

As for labeling for contents I use constant providers in my blueprints for that.

Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

The coloring of tracks and belts would need to be quick and easily turned off. I often find I'd like to know where a belt is going so I'd like to see the whole path of a certain belt from one quick look. I'd also like this color change to be visible on the map and I'd like the choice of bigger, bolder fonts for when i want to write something on the map, erasable of course. Current system is nice, but can use improvement.

Why not make it possible to draw on the map for possible train or belt paths? These paths would then show up on the terrain so you don't have to constantly go to the map when making long routes. Make one proposed path pink and then make it possible to delete all pink planning with one click.

Also, I'd like blue circuits on the map to show up as icons, the size of the icon in relation to the number of blues in the chest so that you can quickly find a big bunch of forgotten blue circuits. No need to show small numbers of such things, but if there are 20 or more in one chest, that would be nice. Maybe the same for reds and other key ingredients. A way to turn on various things for display on the map.

My guy is kind of hard to see. This is for us older gamers with failing eyes, but also if you're playing a huge area. Maybe have a hot key to hit so that he sends out a burst of growing concentric rings. Would also be nice for the tank and car.

The terrain is kind of samey. On a huge map, if you check your radar and you have a lot of radars set up, it can be kind of hard to determine just what area you're looking at so one way around this would be to place a cloud or a mountain or an obelisk to create a landmark. These could be craftable. I suppose I could just build something useless in an unusual shape and get the same result, but placeable but useless and beautiful structures would just look better and be something that people might want to add to their maps. Maybe a huge Godzilla or something as a scarecrow. Bonus it would actually deter biters from a certain area.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Mauslag PIngman wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:22 pm
The coloring of tracks and belts would need to be quick and easily turned off. I often find I'd like to know where a belt is going so I'd like to see the whole path of a certain belt from one quick look. I'd also like this color change to be visible on the map and I'd like the choice of bigger, bolder fonts for when i want to write something on the map, erasable of course. Current system is nice, but can use improvement.

Why not make it possible to draw on the map for possible train or belt paths? These paths would then show up on the terrain so you don't have to constantly go to the map when making long routes. Make one proposed path pink and then make it possible to delete all pink planning with one click.

Also, I'd like blue circuits on the map to show up as icons, the size of the icon in relation to the number of blues in the chest so that you can quickly find a big bunch of forgotten blue circuits. No need to show small numbers of such things, but if there are 20 or more in one chest, that would be nice. Maybe the same for reds and other key ingredients. A way to turn on various things for display on the map.

My guy is kind of hard to see. This is for us older gamers with failing eyes, but also if you're playing a huge area. Maybe have a hot key to hit so that he sends out a burst of growing concentric rings. Would also be nice for the tank and car.

The terrain is kind of samey. On a huge map, if you check your radar and you have a lot of radars set up, it can be kind of hard to determine just what area you're looking at so one way around this would be to place a cloud or a mountain or an obelisk to create a landmark. These could be craftable. I suppose I could just build something useless in an unusual shape and get the same result, but placeable but useless and beautiful structures would just look better and be something that people might want to add to their maps. Maybe a huge Godzilla or something as a scarecrow. Bonus it would actually deter biters from a certain area.
"Dude, where is my car?"

I always have a hard time finding where I left my car. Would be nice if one could go into map mode, click on a "highlight" button and then select the "car" entity to highlight all cars on the map. Or in your case blue circuits. Icon size could vary with amount as you suggested.

Another thing I miss is to select a target on the map and then get direction to it while you run around. E.g. an arrow at the edge of the screen always pointing towards the selected target (as long as it is off screen).

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:40 pm
"Dude, where is my car?"

I always have a hard time finding where I left my car. Would be nice if one could go into map mode, click on a "highlight" button and then select the "car" entity to highlight all cars on the map. Or in your case blue circuits. Icon size could vary with amount as you suggested.
This is not what you ask for, but it might help :
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Gizmos_Car_Keys
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

mrvn wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:40 pm
Mauslag PIngman wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:22 pm

"Dude, where is my car?"

Another thing I miss is to select a target on the map and then get direction to it while you run around. E.g. an arrow at the edge of the screen always pointing towards the selected target (as long as it is off screen).
I like the arrow on the edge of the screen, but its not as good as a path. An arrow in a place with a lot of lakes and dead ends could easily take you to a dead end that's going in the right direction but doesn't reach your destination. A path would temporarily appear on the terrain and you'd just follow it around curves without getting you stuck.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Then just install the AAI Vehicles and have it drive you around on autopilot. :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”